Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #11 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I see Carter stop swimming but he is very active.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #12 
amazonbaby98

Her last one lived 3 years. He's been swimming around for about 10 minutes now. I think he may be starting a bubble nest. In the spot that he likes to stay, there are a bunch of bubbles resting on the top of the water.

I wonder if he is always like this during the day. Like I said, the past few days I have been gone during the day so I have only seem him at night. So maybe he's not sick, just tired when I get home? Lol
amazonbaby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #13 
Wendyjo

If you're not using the pump and airstone then the ugf isn't running, so the tank is not being filtered. Just FYI.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #14 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazonbaby98 View Post
OK, let's see.

His tank is cylindrical, 3 gallons with an undergravel filter. The tank came with an airstone and pump but I decided against using it. I feed him 2-3 pellets morning and night of Aqueon Betta Food. I have bloodworms but I was only going to give those once a week. I wanted to wait for those so I don't jack up his stomach by giving him too much when he is stressed out. As for the other tests, I haven't been able to find any of those test kits. I know a lot of places sell them online, but they won't ship to where I am. It's very frustrating. I'm trying to the best that I can without all the resources that I could have in America. As for the cycling, I'm not exactly sure what that means.

As far as decorations go, I have a small statue thing (about 6 in) and a tall silk plant (about 12 in). I cut two of the fronds on the plant so that he would be able to rest of them and hang out at the top of the water and that is where he has spent most of his time the last few days. I have a heater with the water at 78 and a thermometer. The first day, it looked like he was trying to pick a fight with heater, it was pretty funny. I think I answered all of the questions.

Are they anything like us with lighting? Does it affect their sleep schedule? I've had to work 12 hour shifts the past couple days, so I haven't seen him during the day, but I try to leave my blinds open so he can get some indirect sunlight.
The height of the tank could be an issue, Bettas typically like wider rather than taller for swimming room. Underground filters can become an issue because they're generally hard to clean well under & tend to start clogging from what I understand. Have you tried turning off the filter? It could be he doesn't like it & that's why he hangs out at the top. They can be finicky regarding water movement. Lighting wise if he's getting normal daylight then he should be getting the appropriate light for day & night cycle. A cycled tank means that ammonia & nitrites are being processed out by benficial bacteria (BB). New tanks won't do this, it can take 6-8 wks for it to cycle which is why testing the water & doing the appropriate water changes is very important. Amazon won't ship to where you are? They have the API Master freshwater test kit most recommend using. You might cut back in feeding him to just once a day, it may help his appetite or feed 1 pellet twice a day. Did you buy frozen or freeze dried blood worms? If freeze dried soak them for 5 or so minutes, some say if you don't there's a risk of bloat because of the air in them, if I remember correctly. They are meant to be a treat so feeding them once a week is good. Fast him a day each week, its supposed to help their digestive system. Hope this helps, I think I covered everything based on my experiences.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazonbaby98 View Post
Her last one lived 3 years. He's been swimming around for about 10 minutes now. I think he may be starting a bubble nest. In the spot that he likes to stay, there are a bunch of bubbles resting on the top of the water.

I wonder if he is always like this during the day. Like I said, the past few days I have been gone during the day so I have only seem him at night. So maybe he's not sick, just tired when I get home? Lol
3 is not old.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #16 
amazonbaby98

I have tried to get that master kit shipped to me, but Amazon won't. I can try Petsmart. The bloodworms are freeze-dried. I should soak them in the water that's in his tank? I can do that.

And the filter doesn't run, it's literally a piece of plastic that the gravel sits on top of. There is maybe a half inch of empty space underneath it. Does anyone know of any way that I can test the water at home, without the test kit?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am pretty sure thawing out is for frozen.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #18 
amazonbaby98

So now I think that I was worried for nothing. He's been swimming around his tank for a while now. Stops for a few seconds on the top or bottom or swims up to breathe, then continues his laps.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #19 
Wendyjo

Is it the tank with the LED light at the bottom and the domed lid?

If you're not going to use the pump and airstone then you should remove the UGF grate on the bottom of the tank - it's useless without using the pump and airstone and as stated above debris and waste will get trapped underneath it.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #20 
BETTACHKALOVE

Sound fine and if he continue to eat i would assume he is fine. If he would stop eating and sit most of the time on the bottom of the tank , or go to the top for air and then go back to hide then something is wrong.
I am wondering what kind of bottle water are you using? I used spring water deer park before for a few bettas at work for about 6 month and they were fine. But i am really do not recommend to you, to use the bottle water since there is not enough minerals and can reflect his life later on. You can go to the pet store and check your water. Do you live with your mother? If she using the same water then you better to use tap water. If not go check your water at the pet store. Bettas are very adjustable to different ph and hardness of the water. Also check if you might have ammonia in your water. And if you water is fine it really better to use tap water. Also if you will buy water conditioner buy Prime by Seachem. It the best one.
If you have high ph or heard water you need to do a few water changes a week and acclimate your betta slowly to the new water.
I think you wrote that you don't use filter. Do 1-50% and 1-100% water change a week for him. Make sure when you change him, new water approx the same temp as his. Acclimate him slowly. Have him in the changing cup with his original water and add a little bit of the new water , let him stay in it for about 5 min -do it for a few times this way he will get used to the new water and you can put him back in his tank.
Have thermometer in his tank so you can monitor his temperature.
also i am wondering if you disinfect the tank after first betta?

Last edited by BETTACHKALOVE; 11-04-2012 at 08:36 PM.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote