Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #21 
bryanacute

Well… @Eggbert, I have decided to make as many betas I can have a good life, which means no breeding for now.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #22 
LadyVictorian

Outside of killing 200+ baby fish there is no downsizing a spawn. I agree with everyone. It's best to wait. This is another reason why I would never breed betta, you just can't simply find that many fish, not even 60-50 fish good homes because there are not that many good homes currently looking for fish. Maybe if you have great fish you can sell off some for breeders and maybe another handful to nice people but in the end most would be sent to petshops and basically sent to their death. This is why I like my mice so much more, smaller number of offspring and easier to find homes for among the show mouse world.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:07 AM   #23 
Fabian

I think you should not take the female out even tough you wanted a small spawn.
My first spawn contains 200< eggs and only about 10 survived.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #24 
bryanacute

Oh!! Ok! I am hunting for females for my girls tank. I'm researching breeding. Is it all right 2 put different types of tailed females together?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #25 
Myates

You can downsize a spawn.. breeders do it often. Called culling.. you are basically killing the babies you don't want. Not easy to do, and something I don't look forward to.

In order to properly spawn and raise the fry to adulthood while keeping them healthy you are looking to spend a few hundred dollars at the least - my first set up (to breed 2 spawns) cost over $900, and that was me going as cheap as I dared. Not to mention the hours a day you will need to spend raising even 20 of those guys. Is 20 bettas worth the price it will cost to set up breeding (and the rise in electric bill as you will have to keep them all warm in their separated jars), and the time it will take out of your day to do the work needed?
If not, then I say don't attempt. Even when all prepared it may take multiple times to get a spawn out of your pair.. it's not worth it if you only want a few babies. It's not worth the money, time and the lives of all those you will kill for fish that you won't be able to sell for $3.

Nothing wrong with starting out with petshop bettas, many have and over generations produced show quality bettas.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #26 
MyRainbowBettaFish

keep in mind breeding IS NOT cheap, and is VERY time-consuming. I wouldnt breed if i were you.

BTW, the people on here aren't trying to be rude, we are just giving you are honest opinions/experience like YOU asked. Good luck!

For the record, i got my baby HMDT from Petsmart, and MANY people have already told me he has perfect finnage and form for breeding, but he was a REALLY RARE find keep in mind...
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #27 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanacute View Post
Oh!! Ok! I am hunting for females for my girls tank. I'm researching breeding. Is it all right 2 put different types of tailed females together?
Yes, you can most definately put different tail type females together. I love sororities, I love watching mine.

Do you have some sort of live food culture to feed your babies? If you're seriously wanting to breed, then start there. Make sure this is all okay with whoever you're living with. My BF is creeped out by my containers of banana worms.

Of course it's possible to downsize a spawn. Just humanely kill them. It's more likely that since you're a first time breeder that you won't get numbers close to 200. Maybe you will be lucky and only get a small number. However, be prepared to cull the bettas you don't want and can't find homes for. You can always offer them here in the classified section.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #28 
bryanacute

Ok! Thanks 4 ur help, no need to post in this thread anymore