Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #101 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuronue View Post
I was woken up and gifted with a trio of corydoras aneus yesterday morning. After setting them up and gradually acclimating them to my quarantine (they seem healthy and energetic, but I'm paranoid) and doing some lightening research to make sure they weren't juvenile brochis splendons, I would like to make sure I give them the very best at life that I can.

I have researched the basics, but can some of you more advanced owners give a surprise cory cat newbie some advice? Like if there anything spiffy they love to have in their tank? I took note of some good brands and types for a staple diet reading through this entire board, but I'd also like to know what snacks and foods are best for a good variety. :3

I have what I believe to be 2 boys and a girl look at them from above (Girls are wider right?)
OMG im so jelly! Congrats!

I believe thefemales have a broader dorsal fin.

Congrats and keep a vey close eye on them. let us know if anything unusual happens. also, howbigis your tank?

they eat alage wafers and bottom feeder pellets and prefer sand as a substrate, as gravel can damage their sensitive barbels.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #102 
MyRainbowBettaFish

c'mon people lets see those cories!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #103 
carbonxxkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
CONGRATS!!!

im jelly!

Ok, long time no see!

I FINALLY got the thumbs up to get my 3 Peppered cories! I hope they like my sand!

Also, my water chemistry wont be a problem i found out, as my cores at petsmart have the same params! YIPEE!

questions, what do i feed them and how often? I am getting them either this or next week!

PLEASE CHECK OUT MY NEW THREAD CALLED PEPPRED CORIES!
My cories eat pretty much everything. They eat hikari sinking pellets and algae wafers, frozen bloodworms/tubifex/daphnia/brine shrimp and live daphnia. They also eat betta pellets and flakes that fall to the bottom. I think the frozen blood worms and daphnia are their favorites though.

I have a bubble wall in my tank now because I noticed that my shrimp were having issues with low oxygen levels. The cories haven't changed their behavior since I added in the bubbles other than playing in them all the time! They love the bubble wall just for that. I have read that they don't have a labrynth organ but they still occasionally breathe air. It's probably a good idea to have an air stone if you know your dissolved oxygen levels in your tank are low. :)
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #104 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
My cories eat pretty much everything. They eat hikari sinking pellets and algae wafers, frozen bloodworms/tubifex/daphnia/brine shrimp and live daphnia. They also eat betta pellets and flakes that fall to the bottom. I think the frozen blood worms and daphnia are their favorites though.

I have a bubble wall in my tank now because I noticed that my shrimp were having issues with low oxygen levels. The cories haven't changed their behavior since I added in the bubbles other than playing in them all the time! They love the bubble wall just for that. I have read that they don't have a labrynth organ but they still occasionally breathe air. It's probably a good idea to have an air stone if you know your dissolved oxygen levels in your tank are low. :)
LOL Little piggies they are, arent they?

I dont know what my oxygen level is, but my betta has no problem breathing...my HOB creates a water fall with bubbles...cories can breath partial air, cant they?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #105 
carbonxxkidd

You should be fine :)
Old 02-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #106 
MyRainbowBettaFish

yipee!! I am so excited for my little guys(or girls LOL)!

Names?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #107 
MyRainbowBettaFish

hey guys, i have been thinking, should i get 1 albino and 1 peppered to start so i can see which kind adapts to my water chemistry better? Also, should i get 2 or 3 cories? I do a 25% water change once a week...
Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #108 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
They are quarantined by themselves in a five gallon tank right now, may try them out in my ten in a couple weeks when the quarantine period is over.

I have natural smoothed substrate, will that be alright D: ? I use undergravel filters on top of submersable carbon/zeolite filters as I like to maintain long term tank cycle/ecology. It's similar to this- http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ontent=Default Just I've been using mine for a few years now so its more worn.

I may have to return them if they are sand mandatory, for I have no experience in maintenancing sand and I don't want to compromise the health of anyone over learning a new substrate. v_v
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #109 
carbonxxkidd

I have my corys on Eco-complete, which is similar to regular gravel and they are doing great. :)

MyRainbowBettaFish, get as many as you can! They like groups. I'm pleasantly surprised with the 6 I got, they are very active and school together even though they are 2 different species. :)
Old 02-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #110 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
I have my corys on Eco-complete, which is similar to regular gravel and they are doing great. :)

MyRainbowBettaFish, get as many as you can! They like groups. I'm pleasantly surprised with the 6 I got, they are very active and school together even though they are 2 different species. :)
i am not going to go over 3, as i would overstock it. I wanted pygmyies but i heard they need even softer water and are fragile...

so what do you think?

albino? Peppered? Both?

Does 3 sound good?