Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #1 
Gryphon

Rescue Betta- Treatment help?

I was in at my LFS store today and this little sad boy they've had for a couple months was still there. He didn't look so good the last time I was in, but they took him in back and tried to get him a bit healthier. I happened to catch the main betta lady while I was in there today and casually mentioned that I would be willing to take him if she didn't charge me full price (they still had him marked at $11.99). She told me that if I wanted him, she would give him to me since probably nobody would buy a pathetic looking betta like him and she knew I was a betta savvy person.

I agreed to take him, and now I am wondering what the best course of action would be to get him feeling a little bit better. They did get him to gain a little bit of weight in the time they had him at the store, so he has been eating.

It looks like he might have a spinal deformity, but then at other times he straightens out completely and swims around a little bit. Since I've had him home this afternoon/evening, he has explored his little hospital tank and he perked up a little bit when he saw my other boy in the tank next to him.

He tends to rest on the bottom frequently, but also hangs out at the top of the water. It's hard to tell if he is having issues swimming, but his tail is in shreds so I'm not sure if it is just taking him more energy to swim around. I will try to get some more pictures or a video later once he is settled in further.

Any and all input or suggestions (like usual), is appreciated. Thank you!

In the bag from the store (the black X just means that I didn't have to pay for him, since they usually write the price on the bag):

Settling in:

Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I think once he settles in & gets some good care he'll be fine. I use fresh clean water & that typically works fine but sometimes i'll add a little aq salt, others add IAL & a little Aq salt. He'll be a beauty once he's healthy. Congrats.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #3 
Gryphon

Ok, that is pretty much what I was planning to start doing. Hopefully he will get better quickly!

The QT tank is right about ~81˚F, and I think the warm water is really helping him so far. This morning he swam up to the front of the little tank to say hi when I was checking on him.

I think I will give him a day or so in just clean, warm water and then if it looks like he will need the aq salt, I might mix some in during a water change.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #4 
Kenny G

The suggestions given and your course of action sounds like the best thing for now. TLC goes a long way in the healing process.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #5 
lexylex0526

He is extremely lucky you rescued him! I believe clean, warm water will perk him right up! :) Maybe a after a week or so of him getting used to his new home you can start adding herbal fin repair to his water. That should heal up his torn fins.

Good luck on your rescue!
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #6 
mstenorsaxplayer

Thank you for rescuing him. I would go ahead and get him a heater. Try putting a bit of aq salt in his tank or maybe a salt bath. That should help his fins. :)
mstenorsaxplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #7 
Sakura8

He does look like he could have a minor spinal deformity but on the other hand, it could be due to emaciation. If that's the case, it will go away once he's gotten some meat on those bones. Very handsome boy.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #8 
Gryphon

@mstenorsaxplayer There is a heater in the tank. The water is a constant 80˚-81˚F

He had a great appetite today, eating all the little bits of crushed pellets I dropped in for him. He even jumped a little bit to snag one of the pieces off the top. I think I fed him ~4 crushed pellets today, split into two feedings. Should I give him a normal amount of food (say 6 pellets) or should I start small and then increase the amount he eats as he starts to feel better?

I'm excited to see how he will look when he gains his weight back and his fins fill out.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #9 
Sakura8

I'd start small and work up to a normal amount. Very glad to hear he's got some energy. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

+1 with Sakura. I'd stick with what you're doing for a week or so then increase one feeding by one pellet & so on. That way you'll see how much he actually eats but then again he is a Betta & a healthy one will eat until it explodes. LOL
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote