Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #1 
Lady Courage

Question Mylasian Driftwood STILL leaking tannins?

I ordered some driftwood from eBay and after much trouble and kindness from my seller, I FINALLY got it in. I love how it looks! I wouldn't mind the size being a tad smaller, but it's fine the way it is and the shape is just perfect.

But. I soaked it in water 24/7 for a week and the water was still turning into tea over a 24 hour period. Frustrated, I went to the resale shop, grabbed an old pot and began to boil it. Alternately, I boiled and soaked that wood for ANOTHER week and the tannins are still coming out of it. In fact, boiling made it release a whole deluge of tannins that turned the water to tea in seconds. Also, several parts of the wood began to disintegrate into mush. Not all of it, just parts.

Finally, I got sick and tired of fighting my driftwood and just put it in the tank. It's slowly turning the water into tea, but as long as I keep on top of water changes it doesn't look too gross.

So. Even though I've given up on that driftwood, I'm still looking for answers.
Why did my driftwood act like that? I did everything I could find online to do to it, longer than anyone suggested, and I'm still looking at tea colored water.

Any ideas, oh Brilliant People of the Betta World? (no joke, I'm in awe of y'all)
Lady Courage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #2 
shellieca

Some wood will leach tannins for a LLOONNGG time & I think certain types of wood are especially bad about it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #3 
homegrown terror

i'm not 100% sure on this, but you could try soaking it in white vinegar, the acidic nature of vinegar might help the tannins dissolve more quickly.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #4 
RaptorX8

I bought a large piece of driftwood for my tank and I boiled that sucker for an hour 15 times the day I got it. Turned the water black every single time, finally gave up and just brushed it to get rid of the bits and put it in the tank. It turns the water to tea, but like you, water changes help.

Sorry I haven't found a solution yet, but you are not alone.
RaptorX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #5 
Lady Courage

White vinegar is a good idea... I already have my anubis on it though, so I suppose I'll have to save the suggestion for the next time I have that problem. Or can I take off the plant without harming it?

@RaptorX8 Well, I'm glad I'm not alone here. lol
Old 11-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #6 
Aus

The tannins are good for your betta! They evolved in water rich in tannins and such, and I find mine are in better general health with both wood and IAL in the water.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:27 AM   #7 
deso

Aus is right, the "tea water" is great for your betta. It does look kind of...well, funky, though. I'm having the same problem and I've had two pieces of driftwood for about five months now. The colour of the water is gradually becoming less brown, though. Driftwood can leach tannins for up to 7 months, so we all just have to wait it out and keep on top of water changes.

I don't think that removing the anubias from the driftwood would hurt it as long as you take care not to damage the rhizome, but you'll have to tie it back onto the wood with cotton thread and wait for it to root again (which should take about a month).
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #8 
Lady Courage

Well, that makes sense... Natural tannins for a healthy fish...

Ack, I'm so torn. XD Well... I'm all for natural tanks, so I guess I'll deal with the tannins until they go away on their own.

Good to know about the anubis though! I'll remember that.

Thanks y'all!