Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #1 
aemaki09

Need a little help with my newest rescue

So, I just rescued a female crowntail from petsmart the end of last week, she had pretty pronounced stress stripes and was pretty lethargic even after I brought her home. Now that she's set up in her new temporary home (1 gallon as quarantine -10g sorority tank later) her stripes have gone, but I dont see her move around much at all. She just lays on the bottom of the bowl except when she has to take a breath or has a bite to eat on the rare occasion. She really doesnt have an appetite, i've tried everything i have to offer food-wise (pellets, freeze dried blood worms, daphnia, and mysis i think, flakes, frozen but thawed brine shrimp...but all shes ate is maybe 1 pellet every other day. She's got to be the youngest betta i've ever had so I'm really not sure if theres anything different i should be doing? Any suggestions would be helpful
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #2 
sainthogan

Keep her water super clean and warm and give her time. If she was super stressed, it may take her a while to get over that. Also, sometimes it takes bettas awhile to start eating when they are in a new environment. Keep an eye on her activity level, her poop, coloring, etc for any signs of illness. But mostly, keep her clean and warm and plenty of time.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #3 
aemaki09

That's what I've been doing so far I just didnt know if I should worry about her being sick or if shes still stressed
Old 11-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #4 
sandrac8388

That is exactly what my female betta did (and she is a crowntail too) Don't worry it is just the new environment. I was freaking out thinking I was doing something wrong. After a week or so she came around and is now swimming everywhere and is always hungry. Just give her some time and some clean and warm water along with some TLC! :D
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #5 
Myates

Do you have something else in the tank, where she could hide in/next to? It may help her feel a bit more safe and will have her feeling more comfortable to explore if she has something nearby to run to when/if she gets startled.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #6 
aemaki09

Yeah there's some silk plants in there and I have her bowl separated from all the others just in case...Ive just never had a fish that I knew wasn't physically sick take this long to come around so I was worried she would never