Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #11 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuyDawg View Post
awesome! i did not expect this many well written replies. I was checking aquabid for plant deals and saw 7 anubias for 28$ with free shipping! In addition, I will be adding some java moss and hopefully some duckweed or amazon frogbit to float ontop.

My tank is nearing the end of it's cycle and I will be planting, and reorganizing my current set up. I will post pictures in a seperate thread when done and link it here. =)
i'd recommend against the duckweed...it'll pretty much limit you only to low-light plants for your tanks since it will cover your surface and block out a large percentage of the light coming in.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #12 
kfryman

With sororities, as stated, usually the more fish the better, however that means more water changes. In a 10 gallon 6 or 7 is pretty good. Also, you really want to break up the line of site, if you look from the side of the tank, you shouldn't see the other side. So it doesn't need to be a forest, but you want there to be areas where the girls can escape from, especially in the first week.

You definitely want some more plants. I'm only seeing anubias which is a slow grower, also you have them planted, if the rhizome is in the substrate (it is the thick part where the leaves and roots both come out from) take it out and only have the roots buried, or you can get driftwood or rocks and tie them to it, which is always a nice look. Plants I would recommend for a beginner are wisteria, water sprite (almost looks like wisteria), anubias, java fern, ludwigia, crypts, rotala, amd anacharis. Java fern and anubias also should be placed in the same way I said earlier.

I'm not sure if you have one yet, but for plants to grow correctly you need to have a bulb with the proper temperature. Different temperatures are for different things, 10000k and higher are normally for saltwater and if you are mixing bulbs (if you have a fixture with 2 or more slots for bulbs). So for freshwater 6500k is a good starting point. Don't worry about the "watts per gallon rule" if you have read about it, it doesn't work, only if everyone used the same bulbs, fixtures, and the same height to hang and depth of the tank.

For a fertilizer for the plants I would recommend using API Leaf Zone or Seachem Flourish Potassium. Potassium is all you really would need in lowtech aquarium as the other macros will be available from feeding (phosphorus) and the fish pooping and the nitrogen cycle turning that into nitrate (nitrogen).
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #13 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
i'd recommend against the duckweed...it'll pretty much limit you only to low-light plants for your tanks since it will cover your surface and block out a large percentage of the light coming in.
The tank will already have lowlight, if the duckweed is thin and not covering the whole tank via manual removal, it benefits the tank way more since it will uptake ammonia and nitrate.

I don't recommend only having anubias, refer to my previous for other plant options, it grows too slow. You want stem plants that will be growing fast. the top of the tank and break up the line of sight at the top of the tank.

I would recommend going to Petco and looking at their plants. Only buy the ones that I linked though, they sell plants that are semi-aquatic and will rot if fully submerged, reference my list of plants and look up what they look like.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #14 
DuyDawg

Wow thanks for the awesome plant replies.

I have a fish emporium store that opened up a few months ago, and that place is amazing for freshwater and saltwater! They have all sorts of plants, so I will definitely go and find some more plant options.

My lighting is a 20x10 marineland LED light. It has the bright white light and the blue moon light setting.

I believe I saw SeaChem excel had their fertilizer and I read good things about them.
DuyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #15 
kfryman

Hmmmm... Problem, I believe that the marineland hood while making the tank look nice, doesnt provide the proper light for plants to grow. You may need to either buy another hood that has a T8 or you could go topless, I love the look so much better even with tanks with trim, and buy the Finnex Fugeray on Amazon. It is actually really cheap for how good it is and it won't need replacing for a while. If not having a hood worries you, you can buy a glass top that has a lid and have the light just sit on that with the hinges. Though, it would be more expensive that way then just buying the new hood.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #16 
DuyDawg

I think i'll just order some java fern, various anubias plants, and some java moss for the floor. If that'll survive in my aquarium, i'll be more than happy.

since my tank is 10 gallons, a medium sized anubias plant will reach heights that will block most vision.
DuyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #17 
tanseattle

My is 10 gal with 7 female: 4 HMPK, 1HM, 1VT, and 1 PK

tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #18 
homegrown terror

those dracenia (lucky bamboo) can't be submerged like that...they need to be planted with their leaves above the water's surface.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #19 
tanseattle

My lucky bamboo has been in all of my 6 fish tanks for more than a year. They are find w/o any problem. I even have it fully under water in fry tanks; I have over 200 fries they all still alive.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #20 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanseattle View Post
My lucky bamboo has been in all of my 6 fish tanks for more than a year. They are find w/o any problem. I even have it fully under water in fry tanks; I have over 200 fries they all still alive.
that's unusual...i've heard most reports say it'll generally die within a 60 day period if submerged.