Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #1 
Leopardfire

Should I cut out the carbon in my filters?

I'm beginning to cycle my 10 gallon today and I was wondering if I should take the carbon out of my filter. I don't want to have to replace the filter often and loose my cycle.
My filter is a Top Fin power filter and it's cartridges are spongy bags and you put the carbon in and clip it closed. Should I replace the carbon every month and reuse the sponge, or should I just use 2 sponges at a time and no carbon. What would be the best for keeping a cycle?
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #2 
Myates

I'd remove it.. and stick with sponges. They are mainly in the removal of odor and discoloration. However, these things should not be an issue at all if enough water changes are being done. At this point it would simply be ‘if it can help, why not use it?’ There are other issues as well, carbon is not selective. It removes a lot of different chemicals whether they are good or bad. Some of these are trace elements and micronutrients. These are vital for the proper physiological function of fish, plants, and invertebrates. Carbon is an unnecessary and even harmful media that does not need to be used in the aquarium except for short-term applications such as removing medications.

Last edited by Myates; 11-04-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carbon, cycle, filter cartridges