Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #1 
yappa

My betta trying to catch a little flying insect!!

A little small flying insect managed to get into the tank and got lot of attention from my betta! My betta was actually trying to jump out of water to catch it but unfortunately I couldn't capture that in video :(

Video is up here - http://youtu.be/JPwfDvH6Fc8
yappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:09 AM   #2 
asukabetta

cute :) well i'm glad you have lid so you won't have any nasty surprises like bettta jumping out of the tank :)
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #3 
sainthogan

I believe an insect is what caused my girl to jump out. We had an infestation of fruit flies, so I'm pretty sure she jumped for it and fell out. I have a lid, but there was a tiny opening on the back by the filter, it's covered now.
However, if I do manage to catch one (they're pretty fast little buggers), I put it in her tank to eat. She LOVES them!
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #4 
yappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
I believe an insect is what caused my girl to jump out. We had an infestation of fruit flies, so I'm pretty sure she jumped for it and fell out. I have a lid, but there was a tiny opening on the back by the filter, it's covered now.
However, if I do manage to catch one (they're pretty fast little buggers), I put it in her tank to eat. She LOVES them!
Feel really sad about her!
They are very curious & go after anything which hits the surface!
And thanks for the fruit fly tip, I will try catch one alive and put it inside the lid, make him play!
Old 11-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #5 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yappa View Post
Feel really sad about her!
They are very curious & go after anything which hits the surface!
And thanks for the fruit fly tip, I will try catch one alive and put it inside the lid, make him play!
She's ok, just took her a few days to get back to normal. Now, 5 weeks later, you would never even know that she ever had jumped out of her tank.

The fruit flies are super tricky. The best way to do it is wet your hand just a little bit and go very slow, the seem to not be able to perceive slow movements as well as quick ones. Also, the water will cause them to stick your hand better so they can't get away as quickly. You can also try wetting your hand and trying to catch them while they are flying, but they might not fare as well that way if you are trying to keep them alive. Or some places actually sell them, I know you can get wingless ones from teacher supply stores online.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #6 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Lol I have never had any flying insects in my tanks luckily but I have had ants running along the side and all the bettas with push and run over each other just to follow and try to eat them xD
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #7 
yappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
She's ok, just took her a few days to get back to normal. Now, 5 weeks later, you would never even know that she ever had jumped out of her tank.

The fruit flies are super tricky. The best way to do it is wet your hand just a little bit and go very slow, the seem to not be able to perceive slow movements as well as quick ones. Also, the water will cause them to stick your hand better so they can't get away as quickly. You can also try wetting your hand and trying to catch them while they are flying, but they might not fare as well that way if you are trying to keep them alive. Or some places actually sell them, I know you can get wingless ones from teacher supply stores online.
Good to know she's fine and thanks for the tip to catch fruit flies