Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

Goo on Driftwood?

Im assuming its a normal process but just want to be sure :)

A week ago I set up a 10 gal for Moonie and added lots of new plants! He loves his new home, I havent seen a bubble nest since the first day I had him home and hes now blowing them again, finally! (so cute). Im assuming he approves of his new home =P
Anywho I just added a pre-soaked zoo med monapi driftwood yesterday AM and this AM there was a thick clear coating all around the wood...it does seem to be growing in size but Moonie doesnt seem to mind it...Ive never seen it before as I dont have experience with driftwood, its about .5" thick now. Will it continue to grow or will it harm my aquarium perams/fish?
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:11 AM   #2 
deso

The bad news is that it will continue to grow for a couple of months, but it won't harm your fish, as far as I've observed. I have two pieces of driftwood as well, and one had the same problem initially. I took it out of the tank during each water change and scrubbed it down with hot water and a toothbrush until it stopped appearing.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #3 
inuudo

I've had it on two pieces of driftwood. The first time, the tank was cycling so I didn't do anything about it and it disappeared completely within two weeks.

The second time, there were fish in the tank, and while it doesn't harm the fish at all (in fact, a few of them picked at it), I wiped it off with each water change. It was gone ater the second wipe down.

It's just sugars being released form the wood from what I've read.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote