Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #1 
peugeot206

Not confident about cycling so here's my alternative

Hi everyone, I just had my betta for 3 weeks. He's also my first fish. He seems to be doing fine, swimming around a lot, making bubble nests and eating normally. However, he's in a half gallon bowl and I think I will switch him over to a 3 gallon tank. Right now I'm changing

Reading posts around here, I've found that in order to ready a tank, you have to cycle it. However, I'm not confident about whether I can do that properly, plus testing kits are extremely expensive in my area, so here's my proposed alternative:

- Get him a 3 gallon tank
- get him a heater
- get him a filter (maybe)
- change 50% of tank water for him twice a week

Would that be enough to keep him healthy? Another question is, are those gravel vaccum necessary? And are there any plants that I can put in the tank that can lessen the frequency of water change?

Thanks for your input!
peugeot206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #2 
shellieca

Yes you can have him in a 3g without a filter. The testing kits are less expensive on line if you choose to go that route. As for the gravel vac, yes it's necessary, IMO in order to get the crud that will accumulate in the gravel unless you are doing 100% water change once a week & dumping out the gravel to rinse the gunk out of it. Or some people use a turkey baster to suck up the gunk but I think a gravel vac works better. There are plants but someone else more experienced will need to comment on that. He'll love having more room.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #3 
peugeot206

Thanks for your reply. so is 50% water change twice a week good enough? Or do I need more/less?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #4 
shellieca

There is a thread regarding recommended water changes, so you may want to read that. For me personally, on a tank that size I would do a 50% & a 100% because I would take out the decos/plants & dump the substrate into a strainer to clean it out really well.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #5 
Freyja
Banned

Two 50%, one water only and once with substrate cleaning are good if you have a filter, and a filtered 3g tank will hold a cycle. If you dont have a filter 1-50% and 1-100% a week are good. If you add live plants omit the 100% and do the two 50% weekly.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #6 
peugeot206

sorry guys a couple more questions: if I'm taking out the substrate for cleaning does that mean I no longer need the gravel vacuum? And do you guys remove the fish when cleaning the tank?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

I would still recommend putting a filter in. even if you dont intentionally cycle, with a filter, the tank will eventually cycle anyway :) take the water to the LFS for testing in a month or two and you might be surprised to see that you have cycled.

now the important thing about cycling is.. never change out the filter media :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #8 
shellieca

You don't need to remove him for the 50% but definitely for the 100%. If you are going to do a 100% wter change & clean the substrate then, no you wouldn't need the gravel vac. When I have a small tank set up, I still use the gravel vac for the 50% water change, it's easier than scooping & dumping IMO.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #9 
peugeot206

Thanks a lot everyone! I'll give it a try. Hopefully my betta survives!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #10 
Polishdiva1

Just make sure you heat up the new water so it's not too much of a temp shock if you don't take him out for the water change
Polishdiva1 is offline   Reply With Quote