Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #1 
Bettagirl101

Question 1st time making a natural planted tank. Any Tips?

So around christmas time, I will be upgrading my smallest betta of my two betta's. My smallest betta's name is Royale, or Roy for short. Anyway he is currently in a 1 gallon unflitered tank. After christmas I will be buying him a 2.5 gallon filtered natural planted tank as an upgrade. I know that it is good to use sand as a cap but I want to use the Eco Complete Planted Black Aquarium Substrate from petco. Do I need a cap or will it be ok without one? I also will be buying him tons of natural aquatic plants. Do yall have any tips on taking care of aquatic plants and the natural planted tank as well? Thanks!
Bettagirl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #2 
Tyler burkett

in a tank that small there is no way you can put tons of plants in it.its just like normal plants,they need room to spread roots and the plants would be conflicting for nutrients. your best bet is a few hair grass plants.they dont need as much room as other plants and bettas love plant that are tall and some long hair grass is just what that guy needs.some jungle val would do nice too and some moss balls.Cryptocoryne lutea is also a good choice.they also like some types of floating plants.but do not get carried away with plants do to the lack of space and food in suck a small tank but any tall plants will do.
Tyler burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #3 
Bettagirl101

Ok. I will look into it. I will also see if my local petco sells those types of plants. I will also see if they sell floating plants too.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #4 
Tyler burkett

just keep in mind some plants need specific needs while all have a long list of general needs like fish.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #5 
Bettagirl101

I know this. Even though I have never personally had a natural planted tank, I have done tons of research on them and on the needs of the plants as well. Even though the substrait I will be using helps the plants grow and thrive should I still get some plant food as well?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #6 
Tyler burkett

With your substrate you should be fine but an option is to use flora pride by tetra.it is a liquid that you pour in the tank and it makes the leaves more luscious and in my opinion is an excellent product.but some plants need food and even a tablet put in the soil.but all the ones i mentioned will be just fine without food as long as you have enough sunlight.but flora pride is always a wise addition.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

who said you cant put tonnes of plants in a2.5? XD

however you need to look for smaller species. I've foun moss, baby tears( not dwarf!) micro swords and a smaller species of cryptocoryne works well for me. you can have taller plants in the back :) you may need to dose some ferts later. it will depend on your stocking :)

here's my 2.5 planted. there are atleast 15 species of plants. I also have anubias nana petite, but am not a big fan of the anubias genus :)

I use a student table lamp and a 23w 6500k light cfl. However I do recommend starting with a 13w.

I dont do much for my plants. the left side has a soil based substrate, and therefore accordingly have planted plants, whilst the right is plain sand (and not very deep at all) so it is all moss on driftwood and free floating susswassertang.

All I do for my plants is dose a drop of flourish everyday :)

thestocking is higher to meet demand for plant nutrients. there are quite a few ramshorn snails, mts, nerite and I recently added a pond snail. I also have 3 large cherry shrimps.

I have eco complete in my one gallon (not completely scaped yet :P, it will be, when i rehome the current betta)

it's sharing the same light with my 2.5

Last edited by ao; 11-05-2012 at 11:27 PM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #8 
Bettagirl101

Wow. I really like ur planted tanks you have there. I will try to find some plants like some moss to float in the tank. I don't think my local petco has it but I will look. I will try to find some flourish at my local petco.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

go for it. let me find my labled tank photo for you. it has the plants labelled...

ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #10 
Tikibirds

Aokashi - you need to visit me and aquascape my 20G for me...
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
male, npt, veiltail