Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #1 
Xeek

Red face Starting a 16 gallon Sorority

I've bought so many small tanks the past 2 months and fell completely in love with Bettas! I have 4 right now. Tom my crown tail male, Xena my red veil tail female, Kora my blue/black stained glass looking female crown tail, and Baby Wookie my (hopefully) female betta that could be a crown tail.

I originally got a 16 gallon for rasboras, but these bettas are just getting more and more interesting. It's then that I decided this tank deserves a group of females. I've already started collecting suspects. 2 females of same size and both seem pretty mellow. They're in a divided tank right now and can barely see each other. They never flare at each other when they look at each other, more of just curiosity. I need a lot more, maybe up 6, but 4 minimum. I'm keeping them divided in other tanks until I'm ready to start introducing them to each other in the 16 gallon starting with the least aggressive.

I have read some, but there is not a lot of information around on this. Any tips that anyone can give me on starting a sorority? For tank mates there are 2 nerite snails, a CPO crayfish (less aggressive species), and cherry shrimp on order. There are lots of real plants and I'm also trying to build more ground cover for the shrimp. I've had success with shrimp in my male betta's tank.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Well, I'd start with looking on the sorority stickies. I think there's only one, though. I'm sure you can find it, it's under the sub-forum "Betta Fish Care". I think there should be more. There are a lot on cycling so, yeah.

Otherwise, you should start cycling the tank. Add many decorations/plants as possible, float the females in the tank for a few days so they get accustomed. And I'm sure you know about the pecking order thing.

I'm starting a sorority soon, my tank is still cycling. Good Luck! :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #3 
Xeek

Actually this tank has been in operation since the end of September! It already has a few inverts and it's also where I keep my baby betta in a breeder box. It's ready to go! I just want to get the shrimp in (arriving on monday) before I put bettas in. Also trying to get more ground cover for the shrimp because I know bettas will try to attack them.

I'm in the process of hand picking my bettas. It's taking time, because whenI go to one of 4 pet shops in the area I may only see one betta unique enough or energetic enough for me to take.

Thanks for that idea! I did think that I should probably put them in jars and all side by side so I can gauge each ones level of aggressiveness and how they get a long with each other. I am surprised right now in my divided tank that they aren't flaring at each other. It's black plastic mesh so it may be that they can't really tell that they are bettas and it's just more of a curiosity of who's on the other side.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Sorry if you posted that and I missed it. I hope the shrimp arrive safely. And yes, it's really hard to find the Betta(s). You just have to find the one and only. All Bettas are different. So you need to know their personality.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote