Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #1 
KansaiBlonde

Identification

Can someone please help me identify what gender this fish is? I think it's female, and full of eggs, but I just wanted to make sure. :) I've had her/him for about 7 months and while the stomach has gotten bigger, the fins stayed the same length.
Attached Images

KansaiBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

It's definitely a boy. See the long fins? Well, for this case it is. He's a Veiltail. (VT)
A pretty one, too. What's his name? And if he's pretty fat, then you should cut back a few pellets. And fast him, too. Again, he's gorgeous!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #3 
KansaiBlonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
It's definitely a boy. See the long fins? Well, for this case it is. He's a Veiltail. (VT)
A pretty one, too. What's his name? And if he's pretty fat, then you should cut back a few pellets. And fast him, too. Again, he's gorgeous!
I know the fins are long but since it's definitely well over a year old, I figured the fins would have grown out fully if it were male? I have seen other VT bettas and their fins look quite different from mine, so I just wasn't sure. It also has a very protruding ovipositor which, from what I know, is sometimes visible in immature males but this fish is much older and should be mature by now.

I feed him enough for his size, to be honest. He's a good 2-3 times bigger than any of my other bettas, so 4 pellets a day will just not do.

No name as of now. Had one before while I thought he was a girl but now that name seems to be no good. :(
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #4 
DoctorWhoLuver

I think he/she looks like a female. I think I see an egg spot, but it's hard to tell. I have a couple females with long fins too, but they're definitely female and are living happily in a sorority.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #5 
KansaiBlonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWhoLuver View Post
I think he/she looks like a female. I think I see an egg spot, but it's hard to tell. I have a couple females with long fins too, but they're definitely female and are living happily in a sorority.
Oh yeah, there is a huge ovipositor - it's sticking out like crazy. That picture juuuust happened to hide it behind the fins.

This one flares a LOT, but I have her beside another female (for sure, I just used her for breeding) and they both flare at each other all the time. Actually, all of my females flare constantly at each other and are more aggressive than the few males that I have!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #6 
RichardA

I would lean towards female here as well.
RichardA is offline   Reply With Quote