Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Should aquatic animals be treated like this?
Maybe? 0 0%
NEVER!!! 15 100.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #1 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
Unhappy Why?!?!?

Today, just before I was going trick or treating, I visited my mom's friend that had a betta. The little guy was sooo tiny, younger than Equinox. When I saw him, he was in a tiny small bowl, and when I looked at his anal fin...

A big chunk was missing!!

I could tell that betta was stressed due to it's super red colors, but there was no black on the ripped place, so I knew this could be tail-biting... but it was too much ripped off for the little, unnamed betta...

no clean water, no heating, no room to swim and no food?! TERRIBLE!!!

I have really connected with that betta by secretly feeding it the pellets I give King Dedede and Equinox. It even follows my finger.

I have this ability to feel an animal's pain either by looking at it or connecting with it as I say in the speech I made up (look at my signature for the speech) and when I felt its pain, it was terrible...

It felt like that betta was calling out to me for help...

The only question I had that time was "Why? Why do people treat animals like this?" I take better care of my squirrel I befriended!

This was the WORST halloween I ever had...
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #2 
sainthogan

My husband can do this with animals as well as people. He says that he can tell when my girl is lonely and feel how excited she gets when she sees me. He can feel how much she and I mean to each other and has made a point to include her in our family.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 PM   #3 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
My husband can do this with animals as well as people. He says that he can tell when my girl is lonely and feel how excited she gets when she sees me. He can feel how much she and I mean to each other and has made a point to include her in our family.
:o so I'm not the only one with that ability

I'm so grateful, but what about the little suffering betta? what can I do? the betta is in my bldg so I can go up and down some stairs or the elevator (I live on the main floor/lobby)

I don't want the betta sufferrrrrr!!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #4 
Little Leaf

err... sorry, I'm overreacting.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #5 
Sakura8

I'm sorry you had such a bummer Halloween, Little Leaf. One way you can help your little betta friend is by talking to his owners. Tell them to come to this forum, Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care, and we'll give them all the help they need. In the meantime, the best thing you can do is keep visiting the betta and interacting with him. Be sure you have permission from his owners though. Don't want you to get in trouble.

Fish get treated like this because they are so different from our "furry" pets. Fish can't communicate discomfort like a cat or hamster can. They can't squeak or whimper or show any other signs that they are suffering and so people don't understand. Also, people have trouble telling the difference from the fish we eat like salmon and trout and the ornamental fish we keep like bettas and guppies. To most people, a fish is a fish. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #6 
Little Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I'm sorry you had such a bummer Halloween, Little Leaf. One way you can help your little betta friend is by talking to his owners. Tell them to come to this forum, Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care, and we'll give them all the help they need. In the meantime, the best thing you can do is keep visiting the betta and interacting with him. Be sure you have permission from his owners though. Don't want you to get in trouble.

Fish get treated like this because they are so different from our "furry" pets. Fish can't communicate discomfort like a cat or hamster can. They can't squeak or whimper or show any other signs that they are suffering and so people don't understand. Also, people have trouble telling the difference from the fish we eat like salmon and trout and the ornamental fish we keep like bettas and guppies. To most people, a fish is a fish. :(
I think I'm gonna go tommorow after school. But the owners are kind of bad at english... sooo... they might have bad grammar... *stifling laughter*
Old 10-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Hahaha, well, just do your best. Fortunately, the fish will understand you.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #8 
Little Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hahaha, well, just do your best. Fortunately, the fish will understand you.
I gavee the owners a bit of betta pellets a month back, but now the betta is skinnier than before. I'm gonna go try to teach the betta to jump if he/she wants to.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #9 
Sakura8

You're doing all you can. That was very nice of you to give them some pellets.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:47 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Aw... I'm sorry for the bad experience. As Sakura8 said, to most people a "fish is just a fish". :[ Good luck, and I sometimes have that ability. When I try to do that to Lebron, he seems bored and unamused. haha
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i made pie, lol, lol oops, my own what?, perry the platypus, pie's yummy!, take care of your own