Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #1 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

spong(blocking water flow on filter) WARNING -.-

So I used a spong to block water flow.on the filter and I didn't notice till now but it started to disintegrated..... So I'm about to do a water change and I got it out anything else I should do?
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #2 
eemmais

a simple water change should do it. Btw, use a piece of a water bottle as a baffle: cut the water bottle down to the width of your filter (so it look like a tube) and then cut that it half the other way. But don't use tape to stick it to your filter!! It could possibly harm your fish. Anyways, I use that on mine and there is absolutely no current!
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #3 
Kytkattin

Be careful if you use a bottle though, the edges can be sharp! I use a sponge that is meant to go in the filter anyways, I just use one for a bigger size filter than I have. I put a zip-tie through it and it just sits in front of the flow. Bonus, since you are using a sponge that is meant to support beneficial bacteria you are giving them more space to do their thing!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #4 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
Be careful if you use a bottle though, the edges can be sharp! I use a sponge that is meant to go in the filter anyways, I just use one for a bigger size filter than I have. I put a zip-tie through it and it just sits in front of the flow. Bonus, since you are using a sponge that is meant to support beneficial bacteria you are giving them more space to do their thing!
Could I get one at petsmart or Walmart? I like that better than the water bottle idea. The water bottle sounds cool but unsafe. Ever since I set it up the water seeks cloudy though I've done like 3 or 4 water changes.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:26 AM   #5 
Kytkattin

Definitely Petsmart, probably Walmart. I get the sponges for the Hagen Aquaclear filters. The bottle does work for a lot of people, and the benefit is that it is less noticeable. Though I also find the sponge very easy to attach and take off for easy maintenance.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #6 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

I also want to warn people.about doing water changes and having a snail..... I spent like 30 minutes looking for my apple snail Mac thinking I threw him out the window. Lol

Last edited by ItsKourtneyYoC8; 11-06-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #7 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Definitely Petsmart, probably Walmart. I get the sponges for the Hagen Aquaclear filters. The bottle does work for a lot of people, and the benefit is that it is less noticeable. Though I also find the sponge very easy to attach and take off for easy maintenance.
I think I know what your talking about. And I realized my water seems so cloudy because of the light >.>

I really need to get a better one. Walmart only has the 18 " and everything but what I need which is 16" but I don't want to spend a lot unless completely necessary. Would Lowe's have it?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:10 AM   #8 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
I think I know what your talking about. And I realized my water seems so cloudy because of the light >.>

I really need to get a better one. Walmart only has the 18 " and everything but what I need which is 16" but I don't want to spend a lot unless completely necessary. Would Lowe's have it?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #9 
Myates

The sponge that you used first, was it an aquarium sponge? Those tend to last a long time.. the cleaning/dishes sponges aren't... make sure it's for aquarium use only.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote