Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #11 
LadyVictorian

I agree with everything already said.

I actually got a gallon petcarrier for $7 at walmart that works just fine for fish.

You also need a heater since these are tropical fish but you can find them on amazon for $7 that I have seen.

Betta can be expensive which people fail to consider, they may be cheap animals but in total both my betta's current setups have cost me around $100. Not so cheap a pet now but then again there is no such thing as a cheap pet. Even rats which you can get for $10 at a pet store have cost me well into $500 for all their care and needs and my mice cost me into the thousands with vet bills.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #12 
pr2ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
You dont need to do that many water changes for a one gallon tank, one 50% water change and one 100% water change is enough . There is such a thing as too clean. As for the 2.5 gallon, you do two weekly water changes: 1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate cleaning.
FYI- http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

Thanks for the info.
Sorry I'm very new at this, but what is substrate cleaning???
pr2ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #13 
LadyVictorian

Cleaning out the gravel on the bottom of the tank. And with two fish in a 2.5 gallon I would double the tank cleanings. 2 50% and 2 100% water changes.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #14 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr2ma View Post
Thanks for the info.
Sorry I'm very new at this, but what is substrate cleaning???
Cleaning whatever stuff you have at the bottom of your tank, such as gravel, sand, rocks, etc. I have red gravel in my tank (technically, this is my 6 year old's son tank, so he picked out the gravel - but as my husband said "It's cute how you let our son think this is his fish" Yeah, I've become quite attached to her)
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #15 
LebronTheBetta

Looks like everyone told you the sufficient way of keeping these fish.
With a gravel vacuum, you suck up the debris in the substrate. Substrate is the material you use for the bottom of the tank, gravel or sand. This helps keep the ammonia down from getting poo and uneaten food from the gravel, meanwhile sucking up water also.

Cycling is the process of 2 special bacteria making a big enough colony to eat ammonia and nitrite. This may take a month or more so just read the stickies on them.

Fish keeping isn't easy or cheap at all. It's not a hobby, it's a passion. A setup for a 3.5 gallon cost me over $200. Lets say I want to get the best supplies at possible. And now, including my 3.5 and 20 gallon tanks, it's like $400? Keeping any animal is never easy. Whether a fish to a dog, it never is.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #16 
sainthogan

As others have said, fish keeping can be expensive, but Bettas are very rewarding pets, much more so than regular fish.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #17 
LadyVictorian

+1 to Lebron

Once I get my 10 gallon going i'm going to drop another $300 into my fish if not more. But that sorority tank will be so worth it.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

While the 2.5gal isn't ideal to use for a divided tank for 2 male Bettas-You can make it work. Usually in smaller divided tanks you can have more of an issue with stress related issues from seeing each other all the time, however, some males will desensitize and be fine. Water quality should be fairly easy to maintain with proper care.

By the pic-it looks like you have a filter...correct...any live plants...

To understand-one Betta has already died and the other one is sick-then you just got another new Betta to replace the one that died- and he is fine?

Right now what I would recommend-QT the sick Betta. The small temporary cups they are often sold in work great for a QT container. Usually they are small enough to float (attached to the side so they don't sink) in the heated tank to maintain water temp in the 76-77F range for treatment.

Since the sick Betta has popeye along with fin rot-I would recommend Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) for treatment

Mix up some treatment water using a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water and add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one. Either IAL (1lrg crushed/gal) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (20crushed/gal) Let this premixed jug of treatment water steep for 30min. Shake well before use.

Using this premixed treatment water-make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today on the sick Betta in the small QT you have him in-floating in the heated tank.
He needs to stay in the QT in this treatment water for the duration of the treatment period of 10-14 days.

Tomorrow-using the premixed treatment water-make 50% water changes daily to complete the treatment duration.
If you used a tannin source-the water in the 1gal jug should look darker each day and this is what you want. Don't worry about any leaf piece that flow into the QT with the water changes.

On the new Betta-provided that he is not symptomatic-keep him in the divided 2.5gal filtered tank and make a 50% water change daily for 3 days. Clean the substrate by either vacuum or stir and dip method on day 2. Then get on a regular water change schedule of twice weekly 50%. One 50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method.
Filter media-needs a swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water a couple of times a month. If you haven't done this in the past month-I would go ahead and do this today along with the 50% water only.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals and if you have access to live mosquito larva-offer both of them several rinsed a couple of times a day to boost protein intake to support a healthy immune response.

Keeping Bettas doesn't have to be expensive...Lots and lots of different ways you can properly keep this species successfully-IMO/E
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #19 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
Sorry, I meant 1 50% and 1 100%. I'm on my phone.
Lol I get it. No worries.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #20 
pr2ma

Wow!
A lot of info!
THanks!!

I'm anxious to get home to check on them and start treatment on Vio.
The new one (Red) seems to be ok I will check when I get home for sign of Rot Fin. I went to Petco today and most of their Betta's have signs of Rot Fin (thats where I bought them...)

As soon as I can afford it I will make improvements to their tanks... ;)

THank u all!

THis is a tank for my daughter but its a therapy for me...
pr2ma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot, new betta owner, poppy eye, treatments