Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #1 
madmonahan

Unhappy What did I do wrong?!

I got a betta just over a week ago and he was doing FINE! swimming, flareing, and made a HUGE bubblenest! When I got him he had just some torn fins missing from his tail but no finrot. I treated the water for the torn fins and he was doing just fine!

The other day I noticed clamped fins, I thought I just needed to raise the temp. But now he has major clamped fins! I looked closer and he doesnt have any fin rot, ick, parasites, or velvet. Just clamped fins!

He lives in a 2.5 gallon, heated (78 DEG), not filtered (yet), I do 50% every 2 days 100% 5 days. Use water Top Fin water conditioner.

I don't know what to do because I don't know what's wrong! Any help?!
thank you!
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonahan View Post
I got a betta just over a week ago and he was doing FINE! swimming, flareing, and made a HUGE bubblenest! When I got him he had just some torn fins missing from his tail but no finrot. I treated the water for the torn fins and he was doing just fine!

The other day I noticed clamped fins, I thought I just needed to raise the temp. But now he has major clamped fins! I looked closer and he doesnt have any fin rot, ick, parasites, or velvet. Just clamped fins!

He lives in a 2.5 gallon, heated (78 DEG), not filtered (yet), I do 50% every 2 days 100% 5 days. Use water Top Fin water conditioner.

I don't know what to do because I don't know what's wrong! Any help?!
thank you!
can you describe his behaviour? a photo might also help.
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #3 
madmonahan

He doesn't swim much anymore, sits around the bottom of the tank or on a plant. When I came home later today (yesterday) I thought he had died! I freaked! But I think I kinda scared him because when I tapped the tank he jolted! He is still eating.....:( does that help?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:39 AM   #4 
madmonahan

Oh and sorry I can't get a photo. (atleast not right now) I have not uploaded any. Goodnight. Hope he's not any worse tomorrow (later today)
Old 11-02-2012, 01:39 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

first confirm that the thermometer is 100% accurate.
next I recommend looking out for the coloration if his poop. you want to eliminate the possibilities of any internal parasites....
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

If you notice stringy white poop, you might want to look into the possibility of internal parasites like aokashi suggested.

Also, does he have anything fuzzy growing on his fins, body or lip?

I'm also wondering if there is something wrong with his water. Did anyone use any chemicals or air freshners, anything that could of gotten into his tank?
Also any tankmates? Did you forget the conditioner after the last water change?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #7 
jsgossamer

Many times they get sick from the stressful situation in the pet store and it just doesn't show up right away. Don't blame yourself. Hopefully the experienced people on this board can help you figure out what is wrong
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #8 
madmonahan

I don't know how any kind of chemicals would get in...no tankmates, no lumps or fuzz, and I condition it in one gallon containers and I remember putting conditioner in them. I will look at his poop and see if I can find anything.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #9 
madmonahan

No stringy white poop....that I can see it's hard to catch him "in the act" :p anyway he's not doing very good....I'm very worried. Please help
Old 11-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #10 
madmonahan

HELP HELP HELP ME PLEASE!!!! getting worse!