Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #1 
laurenamor

Exclamation Laying on his side at the bottom, doesn't seem like dropsy at all

Hello!

My male crowntail has been behaving super weird for the past few months (he's at home with my mom while I'm at school, that's why it has taken me longer to get help). We thought he "seemed" super happy because he would always move his pectoral fins a lot. We later figured out that he didn't really move his anal and caudal fins, so moving his pectoral fins was pretty much the only way for him to swim up. He now swims up super fast only using his pectoral fins moving them super fast, gets air from the surface and then lets himself fall all the way to the bottom where he lays pretty much all day and most times on his side :S yikes! I've read that this usually happens with dropsy because they're "bloated" and therefore "weighed-down", but he's not swollen at all, it just seems like his anal and caudal fins are "too heavy" and he just doesn't have the energy to keep himself up. He has almost a year or more and he's had fin rot before, was treated and his fins grew back but a little deformed, but not bigger at all. I changed him to a shallower bowl so he won't have to swim much to reach the surface. I don't know what else to do! Sorry for the wordiness, I just wanted to provide as much info as possible. Please help! :(

I will posts some pics as soon as I can.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by laurenamor; 11-06-2012 at 07:33 PM.
laurenamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #2 
laurenamor

Housing
What size is your tank? It was one gallon but I changed him to a smaller one so he won't have to swim much to reach the surface.
What temperature is your tank? Tropical temperature, I'm in Puerto Rico, perfect temperature for a betta.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? No, doesn't need it.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Pellet Food. Aqua Culture Brand
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 70 new/30 old ish
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Splendid Betta Complete Water Conditioner and API Stress Coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Looks the same, anal and caudal fins look weak, hardly moves them.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He lays on the bottom on his side. Swims up to catch air and lets himself fall to the bottom.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 months or so.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, just put him on a smaller container so it would be easier to go up and get air.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had fin rot almost 6 months ago, was treated with API Melafix, fins grew back around the same size but not as nice looking as before.
How old is your fish (approximately)? A little over a year.

PS. I also have a veiltail with huuuuge fins who gets the exact tank size (1 gallon ish) and treatment as him, they're in two different places and never get to see each other. He is completely normal.
laurenamor is offline   Reply With Quote