Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #101 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Also bloodworms should never be the main food. How big is that and how many water changes?Wouldnt that Betta look way Better in a 2 gallon. Also no lid increases risk of jumping.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #102 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith2424 View Post
Attachment 68319

Here is a pic of my new betta, someone gave it to me as a housewarming gift. Odd but ok. I don't want to get an aqarium for him. He came in a small vase you'd put a flower in, so i've transferred him to a hurricane vase. I'm not sure how a fish is supposed to act but he seems lethergic and not eating alot so I'm a bit worried about him. I"ve put a water conditioner in it when I first transferred him. He seems to eat the bloodworms more than his food.
Any ideas would be great.

Thanks
jojo
Makesure that the amount of water is at least one gallon, and that you add a small heater. A food many bettas find tasty are the Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets, try feeding those 2x a day, 2-3 each meal, and once a week supplement a meal with bloodworms.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #103 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bettas love things like Flightless Fruit Flies.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #104 
Myates

Lots of good advice.. most likely it's due to being in cool water and not much mental stimulation. Bettas aren't your typical fish.. most owners who take the time to get to know them will say they are anything but "just fish", as they love interaction with people and learning tricks.

I would recommend adding in a silk plant or two (the softer aquatic ones), something for him to rest on.. a cave or a decoration on the bottom where he can chill out and explore. They really do need mental stimulation to keep them healthy and active.
Weekly water changes are needed for a tank that size - normal recommendation would be 1 50% and 1 100% per week (using water conditioner each time), but if it's too much for your schedule then I would recommend a 100% every 4-5 days.

Keep trying to give him betta pellets as his main staple, freeze dried worms are best as a treat once a week as it's mostly just empty calories.

A heater is ideal as they are tropical fish - you can find small 10 watt heaters that will be fine for cheap. I personally love the mini ones as they are adjustable and only about 7 inches long.. the 25w is more than enough for your size tank.

Other than that I highly suggest getting to know your betta, place him in a spot close to where you are for the majority of the time you are home. Use your finger to play with him every so often.. let him get to know you. You will be surprised just how much like dogs/puppies they are for the fish world.

I know.. I sound like a nut.. but I'm not kidding about their personalities :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #105 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have gotten to know Carter well.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #106 
Myates

I bet you have :) I was referring to the poster who asked about their new betta :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #107 
jsmith2424

bettas for dummies

I don't understand what "1 50% and 1 100% per week" means. I've never had a fish in my life so bear with me. Also don't heaters only go in aquariums not bowls?
jsmith2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #108 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

A 50 percent is the amount of water you remove in that case 50 percent is removed. If you can not fit a heater in the bowl you have you get rid of it. If you can add a heater then it will work out as long as it meets care standards.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #109 
jsmith2424

So you're saying if a betta must have a heater?
jsmith2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #110 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

A Betta needs a stable temp of 76-82F which most homes can not provide. So yes you should have a Heater.