Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #151 
jsmith2424

So what should I do about all of that? I am leaving in a few hrs for a week long trip and have someone staying with him. So I hope to hear from someone soon.
Ty for your help
jsmith2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #152 
ao
TFK Moderator

nothing much you can do really if you are leaving so soon. give the fishie a 100% water change....

make sure the water is really 78 too....
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #153 
SnowySurface

Based on previous qoutes, I put some suggestions in purple through the reply. Unfortunately, without knowing your exact water parameters I can only make wild assumptions based on my own experiences. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith2424 View Post
Attachment 68319

Here is a pic of my new betta, someone gave it to me as a housewarming gift. Odd but ok. I don't want to get an aqarium for him. He came in a small vase you'd put a flower in, so i've transferred him to a hurricane vase. I'm not sure how a fish is supposed to act but he seems lethergic and not eating alot so I'm a bit worried about him. I"ve put a water conditioner in it when I first transferred him. He seems to eat the bloodworms more than his food.
Any ideas would be great.

Thanks
jojo
Quick question, is there any particular reason why you don't want to get your fish an aquarium? Aquariums are garunteed to be made of glass or acrylic that is fish safe. There is a chance that the vase you are currently using to house your fish is coated with something that is leeching into the water and making your fish sick. That isn't the only possible reason for your fish's symtomps; But, you may have to keep that in mind and buy something that is designed for fish and not plants.

Quote:
Okay I went to Walmart today and bought a heater and a thermometer. Changed the water, rinsed off the rocks, conditioned the water as well. He seems to be doing better today so I'm happy I got the heater! And it's tiny so fits perfectly in the bowl.
Quote:
So I put in the new heater a few days ago and since then my fish has just been snugged up against it and doesn't do anything else. And I mean nothing else. He will only eat blood worms now not food pellets or flakes. He hardly wants to interact with me and if i touch him in the water he just floats there. I am very worried about him. Wondering if the water temp isn't right. Its at around 78'f.
Hugging the heater makes me think your tank is 78 degrees in the section you put your thermometer and everywhere else is colder. If the thermometer and heater are right next to each other, you have to move the thermeter further away. UNless you have a filter that will make the water temp uniform throughout your entire vase, you have to make sure you don't have any cold spots. For your set up, I would suggest either having the heater in the back and thermometer in the front or the heater on one side (i.e. left) and the thermometer on the other side (i.e. right).

If the lethargy isn't caused by temperature gradients, did you acclimate him to the water when you put him back in after cleaning the tank? When you do a 100% water change you can shock your fish badly enough to case illness or death if you don't gently acclimate him to the new water. When shock is deadly, the fish can die within hours of a water change. If the shock only weakens the immune system, the fish will get sick later. Being able to poke your fish is a bad sign, so he may be sick.

As for his eating, what pellets are you using? If they are cheap pellets that have algae and fish meal as the main ingredients, your fish doesn't like the taste. I personally use New Life Spectrum Betta Formula (which is a bit pricey) and my fish gulp it down.

Quote:
So what should I do about all of that? I am leaving in a few hrs for a week long trip and have someone staying with him. So I hope to hear from someone soon.
Ty for your help
If none of my previous advice helps, you will have to make a new thread under emergency and illness. The sticky at the top of the page will have a questions you need to answer so other forum members can help you.

Hopefully, I didn't post this reply after you left for your week long trip. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #154 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My rule is any non food item sold for Bettas I should never use.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #155 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I do agree many bowl rant threads cause big arguements.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #156 
bryanacute

I had no idea this would start…
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #157 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Its okay this thread seems more civil. I dont like bowl in my opinion because. I dont like the shape. I only have time to do a 50 percent water change a week. I like having room to decorate.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #158 
bryanacute

Me to. You can't put decorations in bowls most of the time.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #159 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I love having filters to fill with plants.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #160 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad that people have calmed down. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote