Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #31 
Wendyjo

What gets me is when people say "Oh he's fine in a gallon - all he does is sit on a leaf all day anyhow". Well, if you lived in a little closet would you really walk around the cramped confines of the closet all day? Probably not - you'd say "man this sucks" and sit your butt down and go to sleep or daydream about having an open space to run around in.

*Most* bettas will patrol and utlilize as much space as you give them. The bigger the space the more plants and decor you can put in it, which stimulates the fish and also makes them feel more secure. Plus swimming is exercise, which makes them stronger and boosts their immune systems.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #32 
sareena79

mine does plenty of swimming, as well as resting. he goes in spurts throughout the day. he has hidey spots and resting spots as well as open room to swim. I think we all need to stop being so judgey about the size issue though. there is more than one way to skin a cat...
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #33 
ao
TFK Moderator

Two gallons is plenty of room for a heavy finned guy to swim in, be it a vase or a tank. And if he likes the leaf, then it may very well be that he. is just enjoying himself. sometimes I come home to find my betta with his head in the gravel for no particular reason. Am I going to say that he is sick or uncomfortable? he's got plenty of room to swim in as well with a strong filtration. but there are times when he has his quirky habits to attend to.
We all have to stop being so judgmental on tank size...
Isn't proper care the most important? Please keep in mind that even if you betta is enjoying himself profusely in a 30 gallon, that there are others out there who will want to do nothing but hide in fear in the same tank...bettas are like people, some are claustrophobic and some are afraid of large open spaces and shut themselves at home....

Last edited by ao; 11-09-2012 at 01:26 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:15 AM   #34 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Two gallons is plenty of room for a heavy finned guy to swim in, be it a vase or a tank. And if he likes the leaf, then it may very well be that he. is just enjoying himself. sometimes I come home to find my betta with his head in the gravel for no particular reason. Am I going to say that he is sick or uncomfortable? he's got plenty of room to swim in as well with a strong filtration. but there are times when he has his quirky habits to attend to.
Isn't proper care the most important? Please keep in mind that even if you betta is enjoying himself profusely in a 30 gallon, that there are others out there who will want to do nothing but hide in fear in the same tank...bettas are like people, some are claustrophobic and some are afraid of large open spaces and shut themselves at home....

+1 agreed. Each betta is different and it's up to the owners to know what makes the betta happiest.

I for a fact know that Cheshire doesn't what his home changed. He's shy and prefers to hide in his vase or in a cave unless I come around :D Then he comes up to me and wiggles.

Blueberry would probably prefer more space, he spends most of his time swimming around. Therefore when I can I shall be upgrading him.

And mine put his face into the gravel too once o.o I had no idea why he was doing that lol.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:26 AM   #35 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I agree 2 gallons is acceptible.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #36 
sareena79

Quote:
Two gallons is plenty of room for a heavy finned guy to swim in, be it a vase or a tank. And if he likes the leaf, then it may very well be that he. is just enjoying himself.
thank u!

Quote:
Each betta is different and it's up to the owners to know what makes the betta happiest.
AMEN!
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #37 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post

+1000

I think that what a lot of users on this site forget is that a .5 gallon tank is oaky. I have my fish in there right now and he'll be in there for another few weeks maybe. I had a betta in a 1 gallon for 7 months.

You can have what you want as long as it's .5 gallon and above IMO. Anything else and the fish can't move. Proper care IS the most important part. You can have a .5 gallon and not care for it, or you can have one and care for it. I would tell the owner who isn't willing to do the every other day chages to upgrade, but obviously if you can care for a smaller tank, than do so.

Doing all of this is the equivalent of saying a ranch style house is worse than a mansion because it gets dirt faster and there's less room. Both houses are houses and serve their purposes. Whether you like the ranch or the mansion is up to you. And whether you're willing to clean up either or is up to you as well.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #38 
Wendyjo

It's more like comparing the ranch to a closet when you are talking about half a gallon.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #39 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I in my opinions would say .5 is not acceptible and I myself would never keep a Betta in anything smaller than 5 gallons I prefer the space to add plants.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #40 
LebronTheBetta

I'm sure they just meant that these fish can live in 1/2 gallons, but not actually find it that acceptable. I prefer 1 gallon as minimum unless it's a QT.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote