Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #41 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bettas can live a short life in bad conditions they have to do that in the wild for a few months so they retain some traits that help them survive in the bad conditions.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #42 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I'm sure they just meant that these fish can live in 1/2 gallons, but not actually find it that acceptable. I prefer 1 gallon as minimum unless it's a QT.

Yes, thank you.

It is possible for a betta to live in a .5 gallon. It's just not accepted by most betta owners.

If it wasn't possible, than all QT tanks would be 1 gallons.

But by saying it's not possible, it's an incorrect statement. A betta living in a dixie cup is not possible. A betta living in a cup with 3 gold fish is not possible. But a .5 gallon is possible, just not accepted.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #43 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

And will not be healthy either like sitting on a couch all day and you will need like daily water changes.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #44 
Alcemistnv

See, a .5 isn't that small o.O

A.5 bowl looks small, but I have a Kritter Keeper and Banana looks rather fine in it. Even when I had Pudge in it, he was swimming around.

I feel like it's all up to the betta. Am I saying to keep it in a .5 gallon its whole life? No, but if the betta is going to be in there for 1 or 2 months, I don't have a problem with it. Especially since it's not that hard to do the water changes in a tank that size.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #45 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Every .5 I have seen is 3 to 4 inches longer and the Carter is 3 inches long with fins.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #46 
Oldfishlady

What a lot of well meaning hobbyist forget in regards to the Long fin adult males...Is the abnormal long heavy fins and then comparing them to either their wild cousins or failure to understand normal behavior of sexually mature male Betta splendens-as well as how they are grown out.

Years of selective breeding went into creating these long heavy fins...Abnormal, delicate and heavy. Many of these males have never been in water volume greater than half gallon from the time they are separated for grow out. Rarely if ever in tanks with any kind of water movement.

Due to these abnormal, delicate, long and heavy fins-too much space and/or water movement can be stressful as well as cause fin damage. While this damage may only be cosmetic-it is an open wound that you risk a secondary infection on top of the compromised immune response due to stress.

Some...not all....Long fin males can have issue in too much space and/or with water movement. That can vary too, some Long fins males won't have any problems at all..but many will and some can be acclimated in steps so that they can tolerate larger volumes and water movement.

You will almost always have exceptions......

Understanding normal behavior of sexually mature males can help you understand abnormal behaviors. This species is a surface dwelling, surface nester that stakes territory-waiting on a female to pass by to reproduce. The upturned mouth tells us they are mainly opportunistic surface feeding as well. They do patrol their territory for intruders on occasion. This tells us that the sexually mature male-is not an overly active fish that generally stay in one place-They shouldn't be expected to be swimming all the time, however, due to being kept in a closed system-they will be conditioned to US and when they see US-they should respond by swimming over to us, wagging their tail and begging for food. Once we are out of sight-they normally will look around for any missed food-then return to their staked territory.

The sexually mature male-shouldn't be non-stop swimming, glass surfing-in constant movement like you see social specie behave.
The female Betta behavior is different than males behavior-in that they don't stake territory and can be seen swimming more than the males.

Young males will often be more active than mature males.

The long fin males will sometimes need special care due to the abnormal Long heavy fins man created-Sometimes a smaller tank without water movement is best to start out with. Its not fair to compare the needs of the Long fin males to the short fins wild cousin-two different needs to be met....

If you want to compare space in regards to humans-look at like this...strap a 50# weight to your back to swim. A closet or a ranch-look at it like you are disabled in a wheelchair and the only way to food is to climb up and down the stairs or you have to go from one end of the ranch to the other to get food.

I am not saying that a small tank is the only thing you should keep the long fin male in-what I am saying is that- due to their disability created by man-Sometimes we have to provide special care and we might need to start small and work our way up to larger tanks-with and without water movement and sometimes they might not be able to tolerate this-Since each Betta can be so different.....Special......Sometimes the best we can do for them...is to maintain water quality and provide good nutrition....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #47 
sareena79

AND THE VOICE OF REASON SPEAKS AT LAST! thank u soooooo very much OFL, your opinion on here is highly respected and valued so hopefully this can put an end to all this bickering and finger pointing. We all love our fish or we wouldnt be on here seeking advice on how to better thier lives. so all this "my tank is better than yours, my fish is healthier than yours" is stupid. lets all just enjoy each others aqua-scapes and fish :)
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #48 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

A heavily planted tank with plenty of hiding spots and decorations would work well with long finned Bettas? Also there habitat tells us a lot about there needs even for domesticated animals pigs can turn to hogs in 0 to 1 generations I have heard of feral populations in florida. Carter has 1 to 1.5 inch long fins and is a better swimmer than many plakats long finned Bettas can still enjoy large tanks they can stop swimming when tired.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #49 
paloverde

Well I am new to this forum and have observed that tank size or lack of tank size is always a hot topic. I have been keeping tropical fish for over 40 yrs and I just gotta say that when you reduce the water volume as in a typical 1-5 gal tank it takes great skill and devotion to maintain such a tank. From the posts and pics that people have on this forum quite a lot of you people are quite successful. I am a weenie and won't go less than a 10 gal for a betta just cuz old sad lessons from early years. I do have a 1.5 gal rcs tank and it is wonderful, and find myself inspired by all of the lovely small tanks.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #50 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I keep my Betta in a 10 gallon too.