Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #1 
Bettagirl101

Question Thinking of buying a betta fish fry. What is the best way to care for one?

So over christmas break I will be going to my local petsmart to upgrade my youngest betta of my two. He is currently in a 1 gallon unfiltered tank. I am upgrading him to a 2.5 gallon filtered planted tank. Anyway I am thinking of getting a betta fish fry while I am there. What is the best way to care for one? I have cared for older betta's before, and want to try my hand at baby betta's now.

Last edited by Bettagirl101; 11-06-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: No reason really.
Bettagirl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Well first, I don't think Petsmart sells the babies. I might be wrong, but I have only seen the babies at Petco.

I would suggest making both tanks planted, at least to some level. I am going to assume that you already have a heater for the smaller tank. That is an absolute must with these tiny babies. Some people can get away with not having heaters for adult bettas for a while before something gets them, but a baby just won't have a chance without a heater.

The plants will help keep the water quality better, which is the second essential thing. They will have a harder time with poor water quality, so if you don't already have a test kit, I would suggest getting one so you can watch the quality closely.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #3 
Bettagirl101

Ok. I will try my hardest to let my mom let me buy a heater for the baby. What kind of plant do you think would do best in a one gallon? Here's an idea of what my one gallon currently looks like:
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Babies have special needs and are hard to keep alive I would instead get a young Betta but not a baby which you could lose and break your heart. Look for a young healthy active Betta and you will both be happier !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #5 
Bettagirl101

That sounds like a good idea. I will look into it instead. Is it ok to use sand in the 1 gallon if I do add an aquatic plant?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettagirl101 View Post
That sounds like a good idea. I will look into it instead. Is it ok to use sand in the 1 gallon if I do add an aquatic plant?
I recommend fine gravel. it holds down plants much better than sand :) and fish poop will be used better XD
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #7 
Bettagirl101

Alright I'm sure I can find some fine gravel, hopefully, if there is any left over from upgrading my betta's tank. I am relaying on christmas money and I hope to get 80-85 dollars in order to upgrade his tank. I'll need $75 for the tank kit, plants, substrait, and decor. So if there is any left over money I'll buy some fine gravel to put in there as well as the fish if I have any money left over.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

to save money I have a suggestion for you ;)

do this. goto the pet store and buy a batch of water wisteria/ anacharis(elodea) . let it float in your 1 gallon.

place tank in bright spot, with natural light but minimal temperature fluctuations.

by Christmas u should have enough to plant another tank.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #9 
Bettagirl101

That is a good idea. Unfortunately I cannot go to the pet store before Christmas because I am much too busy right now with school. If I can find the time and money to do it I will. This is why I can't go any earlier because I will not have the money till then.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

Aw XD I'm busy with school too :) but I guess in this city transportation is pretty convenient, and there are also a lot of pet shops around :) if ypu are up for it, you can always order online and have them sent right to your door ;)

Tags
betta fry, petsmart, veiltail