Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #11 
Alcemistnv

o.o that sounds like Pudge, puppy.
He does hit the tank at night, and the finbiting thing sounds like him, although this is maingly fin rot.

Pudge before:

Pudge now:
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #12 
puppyrjjkm

Yeah it looks like the problem we had. Unfortunately I don't think there is much to do, I tried different tank sizes and being in a divided tank or by himself. Nothing seemed to change this behavior. I do think it's best for him to be alone though (not sure if Pudge is or not). My guy just seemed to be stressed to the point of not moving when he had this problem and was in a divided tank. Eventually (since I didn't think he would make it) I put him in like a breeder's net, but it was plastic so had its own water, and floated it in my community tank (since it was a few degrees warmer), and I cleaned his container every other day and this is how he chilled out. Maybe having lots of other fish swimming around him he just stopped freaking out. I have no clue. But this is pretty much all I can tell you from my experience. Oh and aquarium salt works wonders, for fin healing. Wish the best for you and Pudge!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #13 
Alcemistnv

I put him in the 5 gallon divided with Bubs. I'm hoping that maybe being in a bigger tank will help again. He went from that, to a 1 gallon bowl, to a 1.75 gallon kritter keeper, to this again.

He got much worse in the 1.75 so I think that it might work to be divided. Once I get the supplies, I plan on dividing the 10 gallon 4 ways so I might put Pudge in the 3 gallon I have (banana is in the 1.75 right now until he's strong enugh to go in the 10).
Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #14 
DoctorWhoLuver

Poor guy :( Has the nipping gotten any better?
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #15 
jeremywadejunior

One of my fish, Shaka, has what looks like a mild case of Pudge's fins. He is a halfmoon and I got him about a month ago, since then the tips of his fins have receded a bit. I've never seen him doing any tail biting. I kept him in aquarium salt and changed it daily for 10 days, but I saw little improvement. Shaka is acting perfectly healthy, though, so I'm not too worried, just keeping an eye on it.

I am curious to see how Pudge does. I hope this was just from him being spooked and not sick! Has he been acting normal otherwise?
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #16 
Alcemistnv

He's actually gotten worse to the point where his pectoral fin is being affected. Its starting to fray as well :/

He flared at me today, but as soon as I got about an inch closer to go play with Bubs, he bolted, hitting one of the decorations.

Jeremy, he hasn't. His personalitty has shifted to a very gloomy one. He spends most of his time hanging on the hammock not moving. He doesn't chase after food anymore. He went froma flaring and high energy machine to a broken down wind toy :/
Old 11-12-2012, 01:10 AM   #17 
aemaki09

My VT used to do that alot, never the fin biting but I never figured it out why he was so scared, he stopped after a couple weeks, but he is still scared by sudden movements too close to him once in a while. I hope you figure out what is going on or how to help, I'd like to know as well.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #18 
jeremywadejunior

Oh no :( Poor baby, I wonder why his personality has changed... Could it maybe be that he doesn't like sharing a tank?
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #19 
LittleBettaFish

Just a question and I don't mean offense, but have you got a reading of your water parameters? Poor water quality can cause fish to become more skittish and this coupled with his tail biting just made me wonder if there wasn't something causing irritation and stress in the water.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #20 
Alcemistnv

The water was tested both at my house and also at my school and in both areas it was up to par (minus the ammonia, but that was fixed with the cycled tanks/ enough changes). So no, I don't believe that was affecting it.

He actually started with some minor tailbiting and this developed afterwards. :/

To be honest, I don't know exactly what it is, but it's progressing and I'm hoping that eventually ti will leave him alone.