Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #21 
betta526

Thanks! You're sweet. I bought him from a local breeder along with 3 of his brothers and 11 of his sisters. I only wanted females, but found out that 3 out of the batch were male. Didn't have the heart to return/exchange them. So I kept them. One of his brothers died with ick months back. All his sisters passed away a month ago from - I don't really know. But they were dropping off like flies after I introduce white cloud minnows from Petsmart. Those poor girls.

This guy had ick before along with his brothers and survived. Before this outbreak, he was sharing a 5 gallon with his surviving brother (with a divider). His brother jumped over, bit and harrassed him. I found him huddled in the corner hiding. He got injured on his gill and it was red and protruding. I really thought he wasn't gonna make it because he was listless for a while. I treated him with 1 teas/gallon sale for 10 days. He slowly improved and his wound eventually healed. Now this......he's a fighter for sure!

Last edited by betta526; 11-09-2012 at 08:03 PM.
betta526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #22 
sareena79

man! that he is...well I hope he continues to bounce back and stays healthy for a loooong time ;)
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #23 
betta526

Here's an update photo. I'm seeing some growth in his fin.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #24 
sareena79

Looks great!
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #25 
betta526

He's coming along well. salt treatment is complete. So glad he made it. It probably was fungus.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #26 
Friendlyfishies

Ive amazingly and by chance of a miracle saved my 2 male guppies from columnaris...first time with guppies, first time with a disease like such. I started with 8, overstocked the tank before I knew about the cycle, 6 died within the first week each 24 hours after contraction. It was an ugly and brutal disease, yuck. Well anywho I know you should never use primafix and melafix with bettas, but I used those products along with a massive amount of AQ salt and 2 males survived! They are still alive and kicking 4 months later :) ....

Not saying use those products! I know the fix's arent the best choice for bettas, Just saying saving a fish from columnaris may be rare but can be done! But I really hope I never see that fuzz stuff again ugh.

I have used 1 tablespoon of Aquarium salt with betta's when healing some massive fin damage along with IAL ...it actually happened by accident, I was told to dose 1 teaspoon and thought it was 1 tablespoon and dosed it...fishes all lived, only 1 seemed mildly stressed and they all healed up really well! Since then ive felt safe dosing 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) when I feel its necessary.

I imagine 4 is okay? But then again ive never tried 4, but seeing my 3 fishes do okay for a 10 day treatment of 1 tbs daily after 90% water changes id assume its doable.

He looks really good! Glad he healed up :D
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #27 
ANHEL123

You can safely use 3 tsp/gall for 10 days and sometimes for even 14 days with daily 100% water changes. I was thinking that you should continue at least for 10 days just to make sure you completely got rid of that.
Also i was thinking that you need to disinfect that tank she was in. I hope your other bettas don't have it. You probobly know do not share any equipment between them.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #28 
betta526

Well he just died tonight. I don't know why. I noticed he was a bit off this morning when I tried to feed him. He won't come up to eat. He just stays at the bottom. I thought he might be constipated. So I put him back into a hospital container with 1 teaspoon of epsom salt. A few hours later, he was dead. Poor guy. A couple of days ago I fed him some thawed out daphnia. I fed all of my fish that day with this and so far no other fish has gotten sick. I don't know...... So sad. I have a couple of pics coming to show how he has been doing. His tail has grown nicely. Looks healthy. I didn't notice anything unusual. Just only after he died that the area around his tummy looked pineconed.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #29 
betta526

This is about a week ago maybe?

This is today right after he passed:
Old 11-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #30 
ANHEL123

Oh so sorry. I am so sad. The way you saved him first time, i thought was amazing. Not a lot of fish recover from columnaris. I kept your link as axample how to treat columnaris. I am wondering why he died. Is is normal to have stomach red like his on the last picture?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote