Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Cleaning a cycled 5.5 gallon

My 5.5 gallon recently finished its cycle. Yay! Finally, seemed like forever! :)

Anyway. It's 5.5 gallons, a Fluval U1 filter, sand substrate and 10-15 live plants. Plants consisting of anubias, wisteria, java fern, amazon swords, a moss ball and some others that I can't remember the name of. All were bought at Petsmart and are the ones that come in the tube from Top Fin. As far as stocking goes it's 1 male betta and 1 mystery snail. While it was cycling I was doing 2 50% changes per week. One on Monday and one again on Thursday, about 3-4 days apart.

Now that it's cycled, how often should I be changing the water and what percentage? I have a cycled 3 gallon that I change about 75% of the water once per week.

Any suggestions? :)
Lizzy
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #2 
Freyja
Banned

From the sticky:
5-9gal with a filter
Weekly 50% with vacuum
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month.

5-9gal with/without filter and with live plants
This can vary based on number, specie and growth state of the plants. Generally with live plants even without a filter you don't want to make 100% water changes.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #3 
LizzyP

I'd already read that. Doesn't really give me any information as to my tank, or answer my question.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #4 
Freyja
Banned

Then what exactly are you asking because it seems to answer your question as far as frequency and % of water. You know your tank best. Now that its cycled keep testing right before your weekly water change and depending on the results adjust your frequency and amount. If you have rooted plants go easy on the vacuum.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

A weekly 50% change should be sufficient. You want those DOCs gone.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #6 
LizzyP

Neither of those tell me what I should be doing. The 5-9 gallon with a filter says weekly 50% changes, but I have plants. The 5-9 gallon with live plants says nothing about how often and what percentage to change.

I am asking how often and what percentage. How can I be more clear?
Old 11-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #7 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
Neither of those tell me what I should be doing. The 5-9 gallon with a filter says weekly 50% changes, but I have plants. The 5-9 gallon with live plants says nothing about how often and what percentage to change.

I am asking how often and what percentage. How can I be more clear?
The reason it doesn't say is because it depends on the plants, how mature they are, how much ammonia they consume, what your ammonia output is, etc. Test and start with 50% once a week then test again and adjust accordingly

Last edited by Freyja; 11-07-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #8 
DiiQue

+1 to LTB's post.

Since you have plants, you'd be safe with a weekly 50% water change and the usual ammonia, nitrite, nitrate monitoring, since the 50% WCs meet the requirements of a tank without plants. This will also ensure that your dissolved organic compounds are in check.

I think in that same sticky thread that was quoted, you would do a light vacuum, making sure you dont disturb any of the plants.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

One 50 percent water change each week. Be sure and keep checking the levels to make sure your cycle is stable.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #10 
whimsicalbrainpan

I have a cycled 5.5 with a filter and plants, gravel substrate though. I do a 50% water change once a week with a light vacuuming. My plants are still maturing so I am very careful with the vacuum. This routine seems to keep the water withing very good parameters and my fish is healthy and happy.
whimsicalbrainpan is offline   Reply With Quote