Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #1 
Bettagirl101

Question Cleaning my 5 gallon questions?

So I am just now cleaning my 5 gallon betta tank, it has needed it for awhile (been too busy with school and hw), and I took out the filter cartridge and it needs to be changed really really bad except I do not have the time nor the funds to go get another package of filter cartridges for my filter right now. I won't have the time or money until after christmas. So I was wondering if it would be okay just to turn off the filter for now and turn it back on once I have a new cartridge for it. Is there a way that I can reuse it?
Bettagirl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #2 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettagirl101 View Post
So I am just now cleaning my 5 gallon betta tank, it has needed it for awhile (been too busy with school and hw), and I took out the filter cartridge and it needs to be changed really really bad except I do not have the time nor the funds to go get another package of filter cartridges for my filter right now. I won't have the time or money until after christmas. So I was wondering if it would be okay just to turn off the filter for now and turn it back on once I have a new cartridge for it. Is there a way that I can reuse it?
you could probably rinse it and get the gunk off if it's that bad, or depending on the type of filter you use, I've ripped up layers of scotch cloth and put them in, they're thin enough so the water flows evenly but thick enough to filter.
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #3 
Bettagirl101

That's an idea. I don't think my mom would like me to rip up her scotch cloths though. I will look into it.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #4 
moonsand0wls

LOL :) You could maybe buy some, they're only a few dollars here so probably cheaper over there as it's expensive here. Just ask her maybe she'll give you one, but make sure it's new because of chemicals etc :L
Old 11-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #5 
Bettagirl101

I probably can buy one. I will make sure it is new with no chemicals whatsoever. Just for the record my filter is an Aqueon Quietflow 10 Power Filter.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #6 
moonsand0wls

Oh, cool. I've never had one of them before but it should be sweet :)
Old 11-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #7 
Bettagirl101

I hope so. It is actually ment for 10-20 gallons but I figured it could work for a 5 gallon too.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #8 
Meggie6347

do you use the carbon filter cartridge? I'm personally not a fan of those..one reason because when you change them out, it can mess up your cycle because you are removing the bacteria built up in it. I personally like to use the sponge filter media. It's cheap, it works great (it won't suck out any additives you put in the tank like plant fertilizers, etc.), and you only have to replace them when they are literally falling apart....which still has not happened to me yet. It has been years..lol All you do with sponge media when you need to clean things is rinse it out in old tank water, plop it back in, and you're good to go!
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #9 
Bettagirl101

Yeah I use the carbon filters. Is it possible for me to use sponge filter media without having to get a completely new filter?
Old 11-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #10 
Meggie6347

Yes, of course! I just buy this brand: http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquari...FcN_Qgod0iIA3Q ...You can get them from both Petsmart and Petco I think. You can cut them down to fit inside your filter...that's what I do; all of mine are all cut up! They're great and they're cheap! Haven't had one fall apart on me yet
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, betta, cleaning