Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

Planted aquarium fertalizer question in detail

Am I on the right track?

I have one 10 gallon tank with 1 male betta and 2 nerite snails. I have planted the tank and plan to keep adding plants.

2 tropical ferns tied to rocks
2 anubias tied to rocks
1 large sword plant
1 small grouping of crypts together
3 umbrella plants also grouped together
*It is submerged, Im going to plant them in the terracotta pot to
pop the leaves out of the water shortly

At the next water change I will be adding my new chain sword plants and hornwort.

Petco black sand with tan gravel rocks mixed in
1 driftwood
1 IAL leaf
78 degrees
filtered *baffled*

I am performing 1 50% water change 2-3x weekly using the gravel vac
At each water change I add one cap stress coat
At each water change I add one half cap of Flourish Excell
I also just got some flourish root tabs in the mail and will be adding some to the tank in 2-3 days when I do my next water change
Lighting consists of 2 6500k 10 watt bulbs that are turned on from 8AM-7PM

Flourish Excel-

My flourish excel says its "organic carbon for the planted aquarium"
"flourish excel is a source of bioavailable organic carbon. All plants require a source of carbon. This is typically obtained through co2 but may also be derived from simple organic compounds. Therefore one can derive a substantial benefit with the use of flourish excel either alone or in conjunction with co2 injection. Flourish excel has iron reducing properties which promote the ferrous state of iron (Fe+2) which is more easily utilized by plants than ferric iron (Fe+3). Contains no phosphate or nitrate."

My flourish root tabs say -

"designed to be inserted in gravel of a freshwater planted aquarium to provide a source of important plant nutrients. Insert one tab in the gravel every 4-6 inches radius. Tabs should be replaced every three to four months.
%'s
total nitrogen...0.28
Phosphate...0.17
soluble potash...0.16
calcium...14.9
Magnesium...0.06
sulfur...12.2
boron...0.029
chlorine...0.55
cobalt...0.001
copper...0.001
Iron...2.2
Manganese...0.23
molybdenum...0.0009
sodium...0.14
zinc...0.0024

derived from potassium chloride, calcium sulfate, copper sulfate, magnesium chloride, ferrous gluconate, cobalt sulfate, magnesium sulfate, managanese sulfate, boric acid, sodium molybdate, zinc sulfate, protien hydrolysates.

So using these 2 items, should I be all set? Do I need to add any other suppliments or will the flourish root tabs and flourish excel doses be fine?

Last edited by Friendlyfishies; 11-07-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I would recommend dosing Flourish Excel on a daily basis if you are going to bother using it. I believe it breaks down at around the 24 hour mark so it is probably going to be more beneficial to your plants to dose it daily.

Only other fertiliser I might suggest is potassium, but this is only if you start seeing deficiencies. Crypts, swords and your chain swords should be fine with just the root tabs. Hornwort can sometimes be a hit or a miss as to whether it will grow, and the anubias and (I'm assuming) java fern require minimal care.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #3 
starrlamia

i wouldnt bother with flourish if you dont plan on dosing a lot of fertilizers in your tank. It most likely isnt needed.

The root tabs will take care of your crypts and swords. The other plants are low demand and I wouldnt dose anything else unless you start seeing deficiencies. If you see deficiencies you can dose flourish comprehensive and potassium, nitrogen and phosphorus.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote