Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #1 
stephnh

Unhappy TRAUMATIZED after JUMPING *New owner, help!*

Hi everyone.

When cleaning my tank, my betta jumped out of the net and onto the counter. Now he just seems to mope around the tank. He is usually super active, darting around the tank and he would always responds to me.

Right after the incident, he would just chill in the bottom, facing the corner (and the only time I've seen him like this is when I've had to take him on a car ride) and would just lay down at the bottom of the rocks. I went out and finally got him a leaf hammock, which I tried to get him to use with food, but no luck. He also hasn't been eating regularly, which he normally gobbled down his food.

He's also never tried jumping out of the tank before, so this is the first time he's ever jumped.

Today he has just been chilling at the very top, still barely moving, not responding to me or food. This afternoon I noticed the bubbles... isn't that a good thing?

My fish seems traumatized... and I'm wondering if it's psychological? How long can bettas remember things? Could he have hurt something? Why isn't he eating? What can I do to help him?

Last edited by stephnh; 11-07-2012 at 08:28 PM.
stephnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #2 
LizzyP

First thing, calm down. My betta jumped and fell probably 4 feet off my fiancÚ's dresser. He returned to normal about the next day.

Right now just turn his tank light off. If you have some, add some extra Stress Coat to his tank. Does he look hurt? Any wounds? What is the temperature of his tank and how large is it?

And, what do you mean by bubbles? Does it look like someone spit in your tank? If so, that's a bubble nest. Just means he's ready for breeding.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #3 
stephnh

I don't have any stress coat, but I'll have to get some. He doesn't look physically hurt. He has a small tank, but he seems to like it. Yes, the bubble nest, but isn't that a good sign? He just seems kinda depressed and barely moving so I'm just worried.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #4 
LizzyP

Bubble nests don't mean anything but they are ready to breed. I've seen pet store fish in horrible water conditions and on their last leg blow nests.

Is your tank heated?
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #5 
stephnh

I don't have a heater... D: but my apartment is at 77 degrees.

I'm not sure if it's the tank because he was acting normal before he jumped. :\
Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #6 
sainthogan

My girl jumped out of her tank, fell 3 feet and was out of the water for at least a half hour before I found her, and she's fine. It took her a few days to get back to her normal self. That was 6 weeks ago and now, you wouldn't even known she had jumped. (She had seriously torn fins and they are mostly healed now)
Bettas are jumpers, they love jump for anything and everything. If he was in his net, he was probably freaking out and that's why he jumped. It's not necessarily the tank, but just out of curiousity, how big is it?
Also, you say that it isn't heated and that your room is about 77, but that doesn't mean that's the temp in the tank. Bettas like temperatures ranging from 76 to 82, so you need to get a thermometer and probably a heater.

Last edited by sainthogan; 11-07-2012 at 09:11 PM.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #7 
stephnh

The water is at 75 so I'll get a heater. I think it's about a gallon or so. My fish was a gift, so I wasn't really prepared to buy all of this extra stuff.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #8 
DiiQue

The heater is a good idea. The water may just be too cold for the little guy and that's why he's not moving around as much... It might have just been coincidence that it happened after he jumped out.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depressed, hurt, jump, out of water, traumatized