Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #1 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
Question How much should I feed?

I have an adult male betta Fish and some AQUEON Color Enhancing Food. I have been given many suggestions about when and how much to feed him, from a pinch of pellets every other day to a pinch 2-3 times/day. What do you recommend? Thanks.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Betta pellets, right? Pinches tend to overfeed them, I know those pellets are small so I recommend 2 pellets 2-3 times a day. You should also fast one day a week so he can clear out his system.

Welcome to the forum BTW. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #3 
SinX7

Aww man, good thing this thread came up lol Been feeding my betta 3-4 pellet 2 - 3 times a day. And to fast a betta means I don't feed him the whole day? D:

Don't mean to hijack the thread OP :p
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #4 
DragonFish

Amount and frequency of feeding depends on the size/quality of the pellet and also the individual betta.

Assuming you're feeding the Aqueon betta pellets, which are on the smallish side and not the HIGHEST quality, and assuming you have a standard adult betta male about 2-3 pellets twice per day should be fine. If you have a smaller/younger/small female about 2 twice per day should do it.
You can also try different amounts for a couple of days and see how your betta eats and digests and whatnot. I wouldn't recommend more then 4 pellets per feeding however.

Fasting, IMO, is optional. After ending up with a couple of boys who just positively SHREDDED their fins if their regular feeding schedule was interrupted, I don't purposely fast and so long as I don't over feed....and even on the rare occasion when I have on bloodworm night.....I've never had any fish with any sort of problems.
I depends on the individual fish, for some it could be helpful and even necessary, but over all based on my own experience I've found it mostly optional.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #5 
tromboneplaya

Yeah I feed my bettas 3 pellets twice a day. I occasionally fast mine, but I don't do it once a week like a lot of recommend and I've never had any issues...
tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #6 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
Oh, I'll feed it more often. Currently I feed it 3 pellets every day D:- fear of overfeeding
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #7 
aemaki09

I feed mine 3 pellets 2x a day...on weekends once a day. Never fasted them and never had a problem with their digestion. I should probably cut down with the females, but I dont have the heart because they look so happy when they get their meals!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #8 
MeganJo215

Yeah, I have 2 adult males. One is at home and I feed him about 3 pellets twice a day with occasional blood worms mixed in. I don’t ever fast him on purpose, and haven’t had any issues. My other male betta is on my desk at work. J I feed him 3 pellets twice a day with occasional blood worms mixed in, but I give him an extra bloodworm and pellets on Fridays and Mondays because I’m not here on Saturday and Sunday to feed him. I’ve had him for a month, and he’s doing really well. I think Bettas are really hardy and can adapt to their situation. J
MeganJo215 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, food