Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #1 
Schwielala

Water Change After Betta Death?

Hey everyone, I'm back again, because once again I'm finding out I'm just not meant to have fishies My little red guy, Robin suddenly acted sick yesterday by hiding at the bottom of the tank. He seemed a little bloated, so I fed him some Daphnia (He got bloated back in September but was floaty then). He seemed to be struggling, but he was still making it to the top of the tank to breathe.

This morning when I left for class, though, he had died. I don't know what happened to him, nothing else seemed wrong. I hope he didn't just suffocate at the bottom. I thought about lowering the water level, but then I wouldn't be able to keep the heater going. v.v

My question, though, is how I should clean the tank out because I still have Batman in the tank (divided) and I don't want him to get sick. Should I do a full change and wash everything (no soap) or should I only do a partial change if there's ammonia build up? I took Robin out as soon as I found him this morning.
Schwielala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:59 AM   #2 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwielala View Post
Hey everyone, I'm back again, because once again I'm finding out I'm just not meant to have fishies My little red guy, Robin suddenly acted sick yesterday by hiding at the bottom of the tank. He seemed a little bloated, so I fed him some Daphnia (He got bloated back in September but was floaty then). He seemed to be struggling, but he was still making it to the top of the tank to breathe.

This morning when I left for class, though, he had died. I don't know what happened to him, nothing else seemed wrong. I hope he didn't just suffocate at the bottom. I thought about lowering the water level, but then I wouldn't be able to keep the heater going. v.v

My question, though, is how I should clean the tank out because I still have Batman in the tank (divided) and I don't want him to get sick. Should I do a full change and wash everything (no soap) or should I only do a partial change if there's ammonia build up? I took Robin out as soon as I found him this morning.
Aw, have you cycled your tank before? Or is it new? I'd recommend keeping a CLOSE eye on your water levels when you get new fish and quarantine them before putting them into the main tank, especially if it's divided. As for the bloating, it may be what you're feeding them, but if your other fish is OK with it it's probably the fish it's self with the bloating problem (name isn't coming to mind) .. As for cleaning, I'd say take your other fish out and do a whole clean.
It'll mean that the whole tank will get cleaned in one go, and may help to get rid of any problems in the tank. Don't forget to use conditioner on the water and keep an eye on the levels etc and quarantine the fish before you put them in the tank :)
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:28 AM   #3 
Schwielala

Thanks for responding, and no the tank isn't cycled. I got the betta fish as rescues from a wedding at the end of August and I've been doing weekly water changes. I was doing 50% and 100% every week, but then I saw OldFishLady's recommendation for my tank type and size, which was 50% weekly, 100% monthly so that's what I'm trying now. I have the API liquid test kit, and the water levels are fine. The temperature has also been steady at 80 degrees. I'm currently feeding Hikari pellets, two at a time twice a day with occasional fasting days. I just really have had bad luck with these guys :(
Old 11-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #4 
moonsand0wls

Awws, well that may partially be why your fishes are getting sick, the tank needs to be cycled and properly. It could also be the store where you are buying them from.. What's their name? Try find others who have brought from there you may not know they may have a bad reputation for selling sick or diseased fish. I hate shops like that! Ugh. 80* I'm assuming at F right, not C? Sorry I live in a different country so we use different measurements and it's always hard to tell lol. Most people on here are living or from the states I've found. Nawww, remember, people learn from their mistakes and at least you're trying. Feel free to add me and ask any questions or whatever, I will try help you out :)

No worries about replying!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #5 
Schwielala

I didn't buy the fish, I rescued them from a wedding where they were used as decorations, but they probably came from petsmart or petco. And I don't think cycling the tank is the issue. Maybe it is, but my friend has 3 betta fish from the same wedding, and she has them in empty fish bowls, no heater, no filter, no plants, no substrate, and at the moment I just tested one of her bowl's water because it was starting to look dirty, and it's got 1.0 ammonia....and yet somehow her fish haven't had any health issues aside from depression.

I have a second tank too with one fish, and I'm currently trying to cycle it and see how it goes.

And yes, I mean 80F
Old 11-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #6 
moonsand0wls

Sorry, I was replying really late last night and was half asleep lol.
Aw, well, I'm not sure then sorry, but remember, don't give up :) Just do heaps and heaps more research, because remember, you may think you know everything, but there's always new stuff to learn (even I'm still learning!) :)

Good luck love.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #7 
moonsand0wls

And hmmm, your friends fish may end up getting sick later on down the track because of temperature fluctuations etc.. Just for you don't give up hope :)
Old 11-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #8 
Eggbert

I agree with moon. You saved that betta from what was probably going to be a stressed and dirty life not suited for him.
Eggbert is offline   Reply With Quote