Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #1 
AlphaBetta1

Betta Compatibility

What are some fish that Betta's can tank with. Also what tools should I have before adding fish. Thanks.
AlphaBetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

This is extremely dependent on the personality of the betta and the tank size. Unless you have 10 gallons or more, you can really only add a snail or ghost shrimp, and even then you should have at the absolute very least 3 gallons, though 5 gallons would be better as snails have a pretty heavy bioload and shrimp need a lot of places to hide.

Most of these need similar care requirements as a betta, so a heater and clean water are paramount, though for ghost shrimp the parameters in which they can survive are even more narrow. Basically, they need cleaner water.

Have you considered plants? A Marimo moss ball is not only beneficial to your bioload but bettas often use them as lounge chairs.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #3 
AlphaBetta1

I have a heater that keeps the temperature at 75-82 Fahrenheit. I will have a 10 gal tank. I am mainly interested in keeping fish.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #4 
AlphaBetta1

Also what personality traits should my Betta display. I will look into Moss balls, along with a few other live plants.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #5 
lauraannq

i was told no ghost shrimp with betta, they mess up the betta's fins... but my betta seems to love midnight snacks with cherry shrimp .. make that midnight snacks OF cherry shrimp...

i hear most do fine with shrimp...
i've tried betta with fish and always landed up separating them...
lauraannq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #6 
logisticsguy

I really like Panda cories as a tank mate. They are small, hardy, fun to watch and get along with my bettas. You just have to keep the temp at 22c to 24c and should have at least 4 of them. It is my opinion however that betta do just fine as solitary creatures.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #7 
AlphaBetta1

I'm leaning toward getting Neon Tetras. How do you feed your fish in a community tank?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #8 
LadyVictorian

Just be careful, tetra's are tail nippers so they might nip your betta's tail and if he is overly aggressive he will easily kill them.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #9 
cjz96

LadyVictorian is right, and they need to be in groups of 6 or more. I usually don't go below 8 personally. Make sure their water is soft as well before purchasing. Corydoras go very well with bettas. I like the dwarf myself. If you have hard water, you can probably try some platies, I have a few friends who have been successful with them . Soft water, harlequin rasboras are pretty awesome. :)
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote