Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #1 
twolovers101

Best brand of frozen/ FD foods?

I'm just a little curious is all, and I know that the FD blood worms that I have are over a year old, so I'm looking into buying new ones. I think all I have good access to are the Hikari brand FD and frozen foods. Is this brand any good, or should I look into ordering online?

Lol I'm just full of questions aren't I? xD
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #2 
Goldibug

Freeze dried Hikari bloodworms are a great supplement to a pellet food. I've never tried their frozen food but when I compared the protein content between the two the freezedried food had a higher count. I figure since freezedried is a lot less hassle and less expensive than the frozen is stick with freezedried. If you feed your betta new life spectrum pellets you don't even need to bother with other types of food since they are nicely balanced for bettas health.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

I love feeding frozen. It is just like with cats and wet food, the higher protein content alone can be misleading, as for digestibility and nutrients a high quality wet cat food cannot be beat by anything but raw food. My experience with feeding bettas is about the same. Frozen is second best to live: it is already hydrated. This is particularly important for people with bettas prone to bloat. Yes, you can rehydrate the freeze dried, but that takes about the same amount of time in my experience as just thawing some frozen. Also, some people do have allergic reactions to the freeze dried foods, particularly over prolonged use. So while nutrients are about the same, cost and risk of allergic reaction always lead me back to frozen.

I use San Francisco Bay Brand frozen foods. Bonus? They are on sale right now at Petsmart for like $3 for a flat pack.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #4 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldibug View Post
Freeze dried Hikari bloodworms are a great supplement to a pellet food. I've never tried their frozen food but when I compared the protein content between the two the freezedried food had a higher count. I figure since freezedried is a lot less hassle and less expensive than the frozen is stick with freezedried. If you feed your betta new life spectrum pellets you don't even need to bother with other types of food since they are nicely balanced for bettas health.
Careful with freezedried food, it has 0 nutrition and has been known to cause bloat in fish. Honestly whatever they say on the bottle is normally a lie. We tested it ourselves and it has almost no nutrition. None but a husky flake of dead animal with very little calories and freezedrying tends to leech out most nutrience.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #5 
SinX7

My Betta like the Omega Frozen/FD brands. He eats them right away and blow bubble-nest after he eats them! :D

Edit: Good thing I came into this thread! Probably going to get my Betta Frozen food instead of freezedry! Thanks LadyVictorian!

Last edited by SinX7; 11-08-2012 at 12:40 PM.
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #6 
Goldibug

Wow, I didn't realize there was about 0 nutrients. Good thing they only get them 3 times a week. I'll probably look into frozen next time too.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #7 
Laki

Frozen. I use San Francisco Bay brand. Never tried anything else. Quarter to half a block once a week between 2 bettas and 2 assassin snails and I still am on the first row of worms. They last such a long time!

All their bloody goodness.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

There's a lot of nutrition in FD foods actually. I heard Sakura say that, and I feed my fish frozen and FD. The FD foods kinda made Lebron more vivid. I didn't feed Winnie yet, though. She's really small. c;
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #9 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Frozen. I use San Francisco Bay brand. Never tried anything else. Quarter to half a block once a week between 2 bettas and 2 assassin snails and I still am on the first row of worms. They last such a long time!

All their bloody goodness.
I get the same brand too, never have any complaints with it. In fact i am amazed how well the bloodworms still look. They have so much...sort of liveliness left in them. Not 'soggy' nor 'floppy' they are still rather firm and plump and my guys love them. Especially my frog.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:20 AM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

fd has nutrition!!!!
lol just not very balanced
ao is offline   Reply With Quote