Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #1 
crowntaillove

I am absolutely horrified.

I know this is a family friendly forum, and I don't mean to be breaking any rules by posting this, but I'm in so much shock, I really could use the input of other members.

I have a wonderful peaceful sorority, there are 5 females in a 10 gallon. They swim together, have plenty of hiding places, and just seem wonderfully happy and healthy. They've lived this way for a month or two with no issues.

I looked over just a few minutes ago, and found all my fish taking turns ripping the insides out of another female. I don't know how she died, all I know is I looked over and found one of them ripping the insides out of her egg spot, then she dropped her and another one would take a turn. I immediately removed her, and now the other fish are swimming around like before, completely content, no aggression.

WHAT HAPPENED? Am I doing something wrong? The deceased female didn't have any nipped fins, or any other lesions, just a giant hole where her egg spot should have been. It wasn't even the smallest female in the tank, I'm just completely shocked.

I have to go to work now. Please leave me some comments about what I could have possibly done wrong.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #2 
tanseattle

You did not do anything wrong. It is just a normal life for small fish. They do not think like we do. It is ok. I know that I am sad to see it but after all they are just little fish. They do not have complex brain to analyze right or wrong. It is just normal (but sad, just let go). I have over 100 betta juvi, and I do not want to cull anyone. It is sad even to send them to new home. But we all need to let it go and don't be bothered to think about it.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #3 
Wendyjo

If could also be that she was already dead and they were just eating her. Fsh become fishfood when they die unless they're found immediately.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #4 
RaptorX8

Or could have been veeeeeery close to death. I had an angelfish that was dying from old age and I had to keep the other fish away from him until he finally passed a couple minutes later.

Chances are she was already dead when they started eating her. As Wendyjo said, after death they become food.
RaptorX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #5 
tromboneplaya

I agree with wendyjo and raptorX8....fish do usually become food after they die and I would assume that your girl was already dead when they started eating her.
tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #6 
crowntaillove

Well, that actually makes me feel better. I didn't want my fish to turn out to be wanna-be-piranhas.

She seemed perfectly healthy, no signs of sickness...maybe she got caught in the filter?
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #7 
Silverfang

just because you can't see it, doesn't mean there isn't sickness there. Depending on how old she is, how long you've had her, even her genetics, it could be any number of things. Just keep a close watch in case any of the remaining girls experience symptoms.

I've seen it happen. Any fish that dies in a tank with others, becomes food. Sometimes before death. And normally they do go for the softer spots first, like belly and eyes. It's kinda gross, but it's nature for them.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #8 
caljamsam

nature
caljamsam is offline   Reply With Quote