Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #1 
candymoon

Help! My fish has a bloat and I don't know what to do.

Hello! My name is Candy and I am new to taking care of Bettas. I have a fish name Bellerophon and he has been acting fine. He is in a large tanks that is heated and lighted (I chose not to use a filter since he is a halfmoon and I have heard horror stories of them not being able to swim away from the filter). He eats aggressively (I feed him two pellets once a day), and every time I come up to his tank he puffs out at me and wiggles like the wants to fight. He is also building huge bubble nests. However today after I came back to my dorm I noticed he had a small bulge under his front fins/gill area. My Betta book says it might be an infection, but I read some forums where it said it could be constipation. So I don't know which method to take. I head fasting, skinned peas, and medicines are all treatment options. So I need advice on that. I also need advice on this, he has a full water change coming up-- tomorrow, in fact. During this time I was going to add some salt in to help keep him safe. However now, if he is sick, I don't want to stress him out so...I don't know what I should do. I could do a smaller water change, but I am still worried that will stress him out too, and if is an infection then he probably needs a full one. So please, ANY help would be wonderful! I'm really scared about this...
candymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #2 
candymoon

I just found this, so I will go on and post it.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 75 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TetraBetta Floating Pellets and sometimes freeze dried bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, two pellets with a fast on Sunday.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? A full water change is every two weeks and a 25% change every Wednesday and Saturday.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Either 25% or full
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Bettasafe

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a small bulge under his front fins/gill area
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He seems more energetic, but that could be because he finally has a heater.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I really need help on this part!
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I don't think so, he has not been sick since I bought him.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him for about a month or so, and his fins were fully formed when I bought him so I guess a year.

Also, I noticed something else very odd...it seems as if the water levels in the tank have gone down suddenly. It could just be me being paranoid, but it is odd.

Last edited by candymoon; 11-08-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Could you take a picture of him? That'd help. For bloat first fast for a day or two, and if it doesn't go down we can add some espom salt. If it still isn't better you can bring in the strong medications. Peas are not good in my opinion because bettas are insectivores, other will say differently, but I think that if there is any doubt in whether it's OK I wouldn't risk it. If the bloat doesn't go away it is probably internal parasites. I was in the EXACT same boat as you a week ago. Sakura8 guided me through these steps. For my betta I had to use metronidazole, and anti-biotic. For now fast for a day or two. Try doing a 50% water change on day a week and a 100% change on another day. Prime is a good water conditioner as it has ingredients that help increase slime coat production. I hope I helped! :) Good Luck!
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #4 
Perry the platypus

You should post pictures. Is it a little bloated or is it like a stick jutted in the stomach? It should look like this:Name:  betta constipation.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  8.4 KBBy the way I love your name.
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #5 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Not all cases are that extreme, it can just be a slight bloat. That is a serious case in the pic PTP showed.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #6 
candymoon

Thanks you guys! It is just a minor bloat right now, but it is enough to be noticeable. I tried to take a picture earlier, but all I have right now is my phone camera and it did not show well at all. This was the best I could get: https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...yi7_c&sadssc=1
I will try again tomorrow when the lighting is better.
Also should I go on and go through with his 100% change tomorrow or just do a 50% change? I just don't want to stress him out if he is sick. And should I add aquarium salt anyway? In this book I have it says a lot of breeders use it to help prevent diseases, and since he is living with me at college and he will be commuting a bit I just want to make sure he dose not get really ill.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #7 
MaisyDawgThirteen

The photo wouldn't load for me. Is it like the photo Perry posted, or is it smaller?

Aquarium Salt won't help him in this situation. Aquarium salt is not for internal ilnesses, more for things like fin rot. I don't reccomend putting aquarium salt in regularly because it is a medicine, and his body will be immune to it if he ever needs it. Say if you had him on aquarium salt for 3 months, and then he caught fin rot, you would need stronger meds as his body would be immune to the salt. Epsom Salt is good for internal.

Try fasting for a day or two, maybe it's small and will go away with no food, but if it is more epsom salt will be needed. You can add the epsom salt now if you like, as a precautionary measure.

The dosage for epsom salt is 1-3tsp per gallon. Start out with the lower dose of 1 tsp if you want to give it to him now. Just take a cup of tankwater, and stir the epsom salt in until it has evaporated (this will take a while!!)

Go for the 50% tommorow, and if you are going to put epsom salt now, put it in then.

If you have an adjustable heater, pump it up to 78F as that's more their temp range.

Good Luck! :D
Old 11-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #8 
sainthogan

The photo won't load for me either. It's asking me to log into your account. You can upload that picture to this thread by saving the picture onto your computer, then when you go to post there is a button to attach photos. Find your picture on your computer and hit upload.
If you need any more help, let us know, and we'll make sure you get the picture on here.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #9 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Yes. If you need any help, just ask. :)
Old 11-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #10 
candymoon

Sorry the picture would not load. I think I attached it this time, but if not I will try again next post. Well I have been fasting him and added a teaspoon of epsom salt. It has been bout three days I have been fasting him, and the bulge is still there. I think it might have gone down...but then again I could just be having wishful thinking. But either way it is much smaller than the picture Perry posted, though it is in the same spot. What should my next step be? I really want to get him better ASAP and I am worried I might starve him if I fast him much longer. He is still acting okay, when I got back to my dorm today and went up to the tank he puffed out and acted like he wanted to fight, but that pesky lump is still there. D;
Attached Images