Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #11 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloverde View Post
Very nice, 10 gals are so easy to cycle & maintain.The heater is a 50 watt and might not have the power to heat that volume of water much above 80*. Ah cats and high places and the heat from the lights it is a magnet that"s for sure. Try to keep a scatt matt or some other unpleasant tactile item on the top of your hood, or buy a all glass versa cover/ top that sits in the inner rim of the tank and your hood is placed on that, this is what I had to do to keep my cats from knocking the hood into the tank.
Thanks for responding. Did you see my post about the bowing? What do you think about that? I will look into that glass cover, thanks for the suggestion. I just hope the bowing doesn't make it so that would fall in too! :( Makes me SOO nervous.. Can you tell I am new to this??
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #12 
paloverde

Large tanks 55 gals and up do do bow, I just looked at my 10 gal and it has a slight bow and it is a low quality mass produced tank it's been filled and running for over 5 yrs & no leaks. From what my feeble brain can remember from past tanks is that the bowing was greater when I had a deep gravel bed 2+ inches. Modern silicone bonded tanks have a bit of give.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #13 
stellar981

oh ok.. yeah i have quite a bit of gravel in mine.. probably about 2 inches. i did that to leave the possibility of adding more live plants later on. So you think that may contribute to the bowing? I have 20 lb of gravel in there.

Also.. i noticed a lot of bubbling still within the tank. Is that pretty normal for new tanks? Should I do anything to get those bubbles to go away?
Old 11-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #14 
aemaki09

How long have you had the tank? I'm sure wherever you got it would let you return it if its still under whatever the stores time period for returns is. If they take broken heaters why wouldnt they take bowed tanks? Thats a deficiency (SP?) of some sort and should warrant them giving you an exchange at the least.

How bad is it bowed? If its not too big of a difference then its probably not something to worry about, but from the way you make it sound it seems like alot in my mind (worrying that the glass top/hood could fall in)
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #15 
stellar981

I measured and figured it out to be between 2 and 3/16 of an inch for the bow. Just got the tank last night. Filled it up this evening. I don't want to go thru the trouble of returning for another of the same tank if it will likely do it again. Do u have any 10 gal tanks? Do any of yours bow? I am new to this so just being extremely precautious!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #16 
tromboneplaya

My 10 gallon doesn't bow at all.....I would probably be slightly worried about it too. And just in addition to that, 50 watts should be plenty for a 10 gallon.....my 50 watt easily heated my 10 gal to 87 when I had an ick outbreak....
tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #17 
paloverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar981 View Post
I measured and figured it out to be between 2 and 3/16 of an inch for the bow. Just got the tank last night. Filled it up this evening. I don't want to go thru the trouble of returning for another of the same tank if it will likely do it again. Do u have any 10 gal tanks? Do any of yours bow? I am new to this so just being extremely precautious!
Alrighty that is much more than a slight bow, I know how much effort you have put into the setup, think you already know where this is heading. Would you be able to post a pic of the tank from the side & above? How did you measure the bow? In all honesty you do not feel secure about this tank, I would drain & take it back. Stress is never a good thing is it.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:43 AM   #18 
aemaki09

I do have a 10 gallon, and I looked to see if it bowed when I saw this, and no it doesnt...or if it does I cant tell

If you are going to exchange the heater, why not exchange the tank at the same time? I'd much rather go through a little trouble than have a faulty tank.

But this is just me - i'm also one to have nightmares of my 30 gallon shattering because the desk its on is bowing under its weight.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #19 
SinX7

Nice! I got the same stand and maybe the same Tank (Top Fin 10 Gallon?)
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #20 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloverde View Post
Alrighty that is much more than a slight bow, I know how much effort you have put into the setup, think you already know where this is heading. Would you be able to post a pic of the tank from the side & above? How did you measure the bow? In all honesty you do not feel secure about this tank, I would drain & take it back. Stress is never a good thing is it.

Maybe I didnt word it right. The bow is only 2/16 - 3/16 of an inch. I mean its not extreme. But enough to notice, the way the hood is sitting on top. Either way, I think I am convinced to return it and get another.