Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2012, 02:36 AM   #1 
MidTnBetta

Weird

Okay so Cooper is just one big hot mess. From the tail biting/sucked into filter and splitting, to me thinking he was pine coning and bloating. Now all the bloat is gone, and his scales have gone down. But there are 2 scales still stuck up. One is kind of freaking me out (on the weird factor). He's got two white spots which look like ich that showed up today so I'm going tomorrow to get some medicine for it. But under one of the scales it looks like ich set up under the scale and is pushing it up. Does ich set up like that? I've always seen it just on fins or on the outside of scales. I've never seen it actually under a scale before. He's in his 5 gallon as newbie is in the quarantine tank. I'm keeping everything in Cooper's tank separate from the other boys. No crossing nets etc. Luckily I've got two nets so I don't have to worry about any of that.

ETA: Appetite, personality, everything's still normal.

Last edited by MidTnBetta; 11-09-2012 at 02:55 AM.
MidTnBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:41 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

oo is he clamped? Sometimes fish lose one or two scales whilst exploring the tank. I would put off the ich medication for a while... if it really is ich, you can treat it with 3tsp/g aquarium salt and 86F temp.

make sure to slowly add the salt and slowly up the temp.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:18 AM   #3 
MidTnBetta

Nope, not clamped at all. Happy, swimming fine, and his usual self. I don't have a heater (room stays warm) but I can get one this weekend probably. His tank stays between 74-76 degrees. I've always used the ich treatment with my community tanks in the past and it's worked well. He was in AQ salt when he had his tail split and was biting it a couple weeks ago.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:19 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

if he's happy an active I'll just keep an eye out for now...it's when a fish becomes lethargic and clamped that you'd need to start worrying, lol
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:57 AM   #5 
MidTnBetta

Yeah, he's his normal self. I've never had a betta try to give me a heart attack as much as this one has.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:07 AM   #6 
birdielikestomatoes

Sounds like he tore some scales at some point. I'd bet that the white spots that you saw under the scales was just slime coat. It tends to build up in areas that are injured.

But as usual keep an eye on him. As aokashi said it normally doesn't tend to be serious unless the betta is clamped and lethargic.
birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote