Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #1 
Nightingale

Question Bloated Betta: Overfeeding

I typically feed my male betta three pellets a day (I occasionally switch it up with flakes and/or freeze dried bloodworms, but I try to make sure it's about the same portion size each time).

Last night my mom accidentally gave him a double feeding (this has happened occasionally in the past, but nothing bad has ever come of it) and then this morning I woke up and started to give him his usual feeding. He missed one of his three pellets and then as I was watching him I realized he was bloated. (He's never been bloated before, he's always been a very healthy fish.)

He's still acting feisty and hungry, so he seems to be acting pretty normal, but I'm very worried. Should I just not feed him for a couple days and see if the bloating goes down? If so, how long should I not feed him? I've never had a betta with an overfeeding problem before.
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #2 
Hershey

Fast for 3-4 days to see if he poops. He'll hate you for those days but it's worth it!
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #3 
Nightingale

Today's day four. I've checked on him and I see that he's still bloated. I can't decide if it's less than before or if that's just my hopeful imagination. It's most obvious on his right side. I haven't seen him poop, but I can't watch him 24/7 so that doesn't mean that he hasn't.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #4 
Hershey

Okay. Now try putting him in a QT Tank, use epsom salt (pre-dissolved so it doesn't burn your fish.. and try that for a few days.

More detailed:
You'll put your fish in a QT Tank, maybe transfer the heater as well.
Take out some tank water and mix in the number of tsps for what size your tank is.
(1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon)
pour in the dissolved mixture back slowly so it doesn't knock your fish around.
Do 100% changes each day during treatment. (If you don't, it'll kill your fish! :c)
Try for 7-10 days.
Epsom salt can be found in any pharmacy and Wal-mart.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #5 
Nightingale

I don't have a working filter for my QT right now. I haven't had the money to buy new parts. I guess I can pull some out of savings to do that, but there's still shipping time before they'll arrive.

What should I feed him in the meantime? I have pellets, flakes, and freeze dried bloodworms. With him being bloated, is one more preferable than the other? And how much should I feed him?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #6 
Hershey

I don't think you need a filter for this treatment, you'd still have to do 100% changes.

You can try a frozen pea, thawed out, peeled, and cut in half. This option is iffy, though, but the pea has fiber, so he may use the bathroom.

If you decide against it, maybe just 2-3 pellets every other day or every 2 days or so.