Betta Fish Forum banner

Changing filter in 5 gallon tank

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Wendyjo 
#1 ·
Okay, dumb question, but how often am I supposed to change the filter in my 5-gallon tank? It stays really clean, and I haven’t had any issues to make me think that it needs to be changed; but I just wanted to make sure and see what you all do. I’m still somewhat new and trying to learn. J Thanks in advance!

Also, does anyone have a 1-gallon bowl that they keep on a desk at work? I have one, but I'm afraid the water isn't staying warm enough. What do you do?

#2 ·
You shouldn't have to change the filter ever (until its falling apart). Just take out the media and swish it in the old tank water when you are doing a water change. Do this twice a month.

#3 ·
Oh, okay, great! J I’ve heard some people say that they change their filters every few months, so I just wanted to make sure. I usually do a 50% change, once a month, and I rinse the filter then. That has worked out really well for me so far. :)

#5 ·
Errrr once a month? Have you checked your water parameters for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If not, it may be a very good idea to do so as you may need to do water changes more often.
Yup, I really have. When I got my first betta (Alex) in August, I didn’t know what I was doing, so I tested the water almost once a week just to make sure everything was okay. The levels have always been good. I usually do the 50% change once a month, but I test the water ever couple weeks. Maybe it’s because I have a lot of live plants that help filter the water? I heard that they are good for putting the “good stuff” back in the water and taking out the bad, so that’s why I chose them instead of just plastic plants. I absolutely love them, and they are all looking healthy and growing well. (They started out really small, but have grown a lot in the last few months)

#6 · (Edited)
This has all been working pretty well for me, but if y'all have more ideas or think that I'm doing something wrong, I'm open for help and ideas. I definitely don't know everything about bettas; just learning as I go. :) Thanks all!!

Also, my fish at work is only in a 1-gallon bowl right now (which I hate), but it's company policy... :( Thankfully, my bosses and co-workers are very nice and they love my betta, so I don't think they would care if I got a 1.5 gallon tank with a light... heehee :) It would keep it cleaner, and I want one with a heater so the water temp will stay regulated better. :)

#7 ·
hello and welcome to the forum. For extended and optimum health, most betta breeders and the pros would reccomend in a tank that size 1 50% and 1 100% PER WEEK.I personally clean my 10 GALLON 1 25% a week, so the smaller the tank, the more you will have to clean it. Is your tank CYCLED?

The minimum size for bettas IMO, is a 2.5 gal, although some hobbyists, with VERY frequent water changes has successfully kept bettas in 1 gallons.

#8 ·
Are you talking about the 1-gallon tank? I usually do a 25% change every Friday. I've had it for a month and it's very clean and my betta is doing well. The only think I don't like is that the water is cooler than I would prefer, which is why I want the tank...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.