Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #1 
Syriiven

Moving my betta from a 2.5g to 10g...cycle?

Hi guys, I'm back with another question! xD A week or so ago I posted a question on my betta's tail-biting and why. I took out the sharp plastic plants that could hurt him, and decided to move him to a bigger tank after all, giving me the room to put in some silk plant decor and more hiding spaces for him. I filled the tank with tap water then added half of his old tank water. Now I have him in a little bowl next to his new tank awaiting the time he gets to move in...but there in lies my question.

How long do I have to let a 10g tank cycle?

Also, I've read a lot of mixed feed back on water movement and filters and bubblers...in a 10g tank should I use the filter it came with (an Aqua-Tech Power Filterm model5-15)? Or should I try to find something less powerful? He didn't seem to mind the filter that came with his 2.5g tank at all, even used it to surf a little and let food come to him.

Here's the new tank and set-up...

And here he is, dodging my camera for all but this shot next to his new tank.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #2 
Wendyjo

You need to let any tank cycle until the cycle is complete. You'll only know that by testing the water parameters. But the tank isn't going to cycle on it's own - it needs a source of ammonia. Are you sure you actually understand what the nitrogen cycle is and how it works?

Was your 2.5g actually cycled? If so then you just need to move the filter media from that tank over to the 10g and it should be cycled assuming you haven't let the bacteria in the old filter die off. You'll need to test for an ammonia spike the first few weeks to be on the safe side though.

As far as what filter you should use - I can't answer that as I'm not familiar with the filter you mentioned.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #3 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
You need to let any tank cycle until the cycle is complete. You'll only know that by testing the water parameters. But the tank isn't going to cycle on it's own - it needs a source of ammonia. Are you sure you actually understand what the nitrogen cycle is and how it works?

Was your 2.5g actually cycled? If so then you just need to move the filter media from that tank over to the 10g and it should be cycled. You'll need to test for an ammonia spike the first few weeks to be on the safe side though.

As far as what filter you should use - I can't answer that as I'm not familiar with the filter you mentioned.
I have a good idea, but I didn't test the waters on my last tank >.< I set it up without my betta in it and let it sit for 24 hours, then added him. I was just wondering if I could get away with that with this tank, but am concerned cuz it's so much more water. I assumed the source of ammonia would be a portion of my betta's old water from the smaller tank plus his old decorations.

I do know that I really should get a water testing kit.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Read the stickies on cycling in the Bowls and Habitats section, especially this one:

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...ecific-107771/

Read the other two for background and deeper understanding.

Full completion of the nitrogen cycle takes longer than a few days. A month is considered fast; two is not out of the ordinary.

If your fish is not constantly hiding from the filter flow, it's alright. Some like it; some don't, Your fish may vary.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #5 
paloverde

Hi, nice looking new tank. From what I got from your post is that the small tank that the betta is in right now has a filter? Has that filter been running without a change or cleaning for at least 6-8- weeks? If so that is a very good thing cuz you can set that filter up in the new 10 and perhaps jump start the cycle.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #6 
Syriiven

Thank you so much for your replies! That's why I keep coming back here with my questions =)

@ Halyx - Thanks for the links, I even found a very helpful thread in this forum about the Nitrogen Cycle and I now have a much better idea of how it works.

@ Paloverde - Thanks! He really likes the t-rex skull, and so do I! xD The previous filter was built for that tank, so there's no way to hook it up to the new one. I went ahead and installed the 5-15 aqua-tech one that came with the 10g tank after reading that you can alter the flow if it gets too much for the fish. I've been playing with it, and think he'll be okay. In the last tank he used a floating plant and sat with his face in the output of the filter, so I think he'll like this one too.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syriiven View Post
The previous filter was built for that tank, so there's no way to hook it up to the new one.
But you can remove the filter insert/sponge/pad/cartridge and put it in your 10g filter. That'll really help kickstart your cycle. More than the water replacement. The bacteria live in the filter and substrate, not in the water column.

I agree, Bahamut's nitrogen cycle stickie is a priceless addition to the archive.

Last edited by Hallyx; 11-10-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon betta skull