Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #1 
Aurie

Hood and Light Issues 5.5 gal

Ok I'm kind of fed up right now, so if this ends up being a rant, I'm sorry...

I bought this tank 2 months ago and 1 month later the hood light wouldn't turn on.. so I exchanged it at the store because it had burned out. This was about 2 weeks before halloween..

Yesterday I noticed the light didn't come on with the timer so I put in a different bulb and low and behold it burned out again!

I am using this sponge filter so it does get some condensation on the light fixture. There is a plastic cover, but it's not that great, but better than the old incandescent hoods. It used to be on the left, but after the first exchange I moved it to the right.

I go to Petco today and buy this lid thing for 14.99 but alas, it isn't 16 inches, nor is it 15.5.. the inside of my tank is 15.25 so I buy this other one which says the inside lip is 15 5/16ths which according to my cloth tape is perfect.

Can you guys suggest ANY strip lighting? I have one for me 10 gallon and I'd prefer incandescent only because I finally found a mini CFL that is good.. and the stores around me don't know what flourescent lighting is to save their butts (even lowes and HD)

I like this one but it's a little spendy for me at the moment, it'd be 2 weeks before I could order it. I'm open to suggestions

Thanks for listening to the rant, and if you have the above aquarium, it's 15.25 roughly or 15 5/8ths NOT 15.5 (versa top)

Aurie
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #2 
inuudo

I have no real insights or assistance on this because I've had similar issues (not that my light has burnt out, but that I need a hood/light for an extra tank). I'll be watching this thread though. Thank you for posting the links to glass tops you've checked out and also for the careful measurements.

My best solution so far has been to post on my local aquarium forum's classified page to see if anyone had any 5.5 gallon equipment they didn't need.

Have you considered LED lighting? The site you linked to above for the glass top has this fixture that is 11 inches long. The specs state that it's for 10-30 gallon, but reviews mention usage on 5 and even 2.5 gallon tanks.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #3 
paloverde

Hi, sorry that the stock glass versa tops are not working out for you. If you run a bead of silicone around the lamp base where it meets the glass bulb that will help prevent moisture from entering. This may sound odd, if you put some vaseline on the metal base of the bulb that will also help keep moisture from killing the lamp.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #4 
inuudo

So. I've just gone ahead and ordered that same glass top that you did AND the LED lighting that I mentioned in my previous post!

I almost ordered two sets because I have two 5.5 gallon tanks, but I do have one working hood/light unit, so I thought I'd be a grown up and wait to see if it's everything I hope it will be before going hog wild with the online shopping.

I'll report back.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #5 
Aurie

I am buying that when I can and I am going to gut out the old top and set it on top of the versa hood and light so its hidden.. the plastic on the hood is fine. The copper piece the bulb touches broke cause its cheap. Thanks for the light link
Old 11-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #6 
happypappy

I like 5 gal tanks -- easier size to handle. I have been looking for a light strip for some time and there is one on amazon -- the cost is as much as a complete 5 gal set up with a hood and light!! so I am going to buy the whole set up thing.
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

I got so fed up trying to find a hood to fit a 5 gallon I just built my own with ecoxotic LED stunner strips.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #8 
Aurie

mine is just a standard square 5.5 gallon 16 inch but the inner lip is 1/4 centimeters smaller than standard. stupid marine land
Old 11-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #9 
paloverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurie View Post
mine is just a standard square 5.5 gallon 16 inch but the inner lip is 1/4 centimeters smaller than standard. stupid marine land
Just noticed that your in Portland, I used live there, the finest tropical fish store in the Pacific Northwest is right in your city, it's named The Wet Spot, they can help you out. They used to have one of the best web sites also.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #10 
Aurie

I am in aloha.. that's in se Portland.
I will make it there some day. World of wet pets is close and they have good advice bit didn't have the lid. I am just mad about 1/4 the of an inch lol