Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #1 
vetwannabe123

Unhappy betta losing color?

Hi! I got my first Betta, Marcus, in January. For the past couple of weeks he has been losing color on his fins and body and I'm not sure what it is/what to do.
When I first got him he was in a .5 gallon bowl, but I have since done research outside of what the pet store recommended and he has been moved to a five gallon tank. He started losing color in the bowl, and has been in the tank for almost a month now.

Tank is 5 gallons, heated (mid 70s), Whisper i3 filter. There are currently 2 ghost shrimp sharing the tank with him. Silk plants and other safe decorations, and an Anubias plant.
Water tested yesterday at 0ppm nitrate/nitrite, soft water, 0ppm chlorine, low alkalinity and neutral pH.
I've been doing 10-25% water changes every day or two to see if that would help.
He is acting fine, eats bloodworms/pellets/flakes, mix it up between them and usually feed once a day.

His fins have been losing color from the tips as well as his head, I've found scales when siphoning the gravel.

I just don't know what this might be. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, I really like this little guy and hope to get him better and teach him some fun tricks!
Attached Images

vetwannabe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:21 PM   #2 
Aerial

bettas lose there color as they get older try to use a natural color enhancing pellets that might help bt he looks to be around 2yrs old to me so its pretty common for them to start to lose there coloring around that age
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote