Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #1 
stellar981

Beginner questions.. advice appreciated

Hi.. I am starting up my first tank. I purchased and used a declorinator for the initial setup, and future water changes. Once I add a fish, how often does everyone recommend a water change? And what process do you use to do this? I mean, do you just run water from the tap as close to the temp as possible? Or do you have water ready already at room temp? I know I have to treat the water, I just want to be sure I do the changes often enough and correctly. I will be starting out with only one Betta and going from there.

Also.. what other products do you keep on hand for maintaining optimal tank conditions. Say you test the water and something is off. Like PH. What do you use to regulate that? Or other levels that can be high or low. I think I have read that if Ammonia is high, you do a partial water change. But do you or can you also add something to the water to help with that? I see all these products in the store and it gets confusing. I want to be sure I take proper care of this aquarium and whatever fish I put in it. I guess any help is this area would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance!!

Oh... if you could also let me know the types of medications you keep handy just in case the fish does get sick. That would also be very helpful :) I know I can look this stuff up, but I prefer hearing suggestions from those who have used certain products with success! Makes me feel much better.
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

tank cleaning schedule:
minimum for bettas is 2.5 gallons, IMO

3 gal-1 50% and 1 100%
5-same as 3 gal
10 gal-1 25% a week
20 gal-1 25% a week

Bettas need their water at a steady temp of 78-80F so i reccomend a heater.

best betta foods:
PELLETS!
-NLS(New Life Spectrum)
-Omega One Betta Buffet

do not mess with your water chemistry. It will just jack your tank up and throw it out of balance.

Do you plan on cycling the tank?

while clean water is almost ALWAYS the best medicine, Aquarium salt, NOT table salt, is good to have on hand.

good luck and post pics!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #3 
paloverde

So you got the tank that was bowing returned?
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #4 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloverde View Post
um wat?
Old 11-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Congrats on your tank. Have you read about cycling? Do you plan to do a fish in cycle or fish less? What size tank do you have? Do you have a heater for it? I have 2 10g tanks & a 46g tank. I do weekly 50%+ water changes with a good vacuum on each. I use only Seachem Prime water conditioner. I have plants & Mystery snails so I add ferts & calcium with the new water. For the 10g tanks I use buckets & a water syphon vac, for the 46g I have Python water changer. I temp match by feel which is usually +\- a degree or two. Do not adjust your Ph as it is more important that it stays stable & trying to adjust it with chems causes adverse effects typically & is dangerous for your fish. If you don't have one already get a liquid water test kit such as the API master freshwater kit. Water changes will correct pretty much anything, test your tap water to see what your starting levels are. I keep Aq salt on hand, Pimafix & Melafix which some say don't use. I have found that fresh clean water will cure just about anything. If you eventually want more than just a Betta I hope your tank is a minimum of a 10g anything less would be, IMO, too small for additional fish. If you're going with a male Betta keep in mind they often times done tolerate other fish especially in a smaller space. I hope this helps.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #6 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Congrats on your tank. Have you read about cycling? Do you plant to do a fish in cycle or fish less? What size tank do you have? Do you have a heater for it? I have 2 10g tanks & a 46g tank. I do weekly 50%+ water changes with a good vacuum on each. I use only Seachem Prime water conditioner. I have plants & Mystery snails so I add ferts & calcium with the new water. For the 10g tanks I use buckets & a water syphon vac, for the 46g I have Python water changer. I temp match by feel which is usually +\- a degree or two. Do not adjust your Ph as it is more important that it stays stable & trying to adjust it with chems causes adverse effects typically & is dangerous for your fish. If you don't have one already get a liquid water test kit such as the API master freshwater kit. Water changes will correct pretty much anything, test your tap water to see what your starting levels are. I keep Aq salt on hand, Pimafix & Melafix which some say don't use. I have found that fresh clean water will cure just about anything. If you eventually want more than just a Betta I hope your tank is a minimum of a 10g anything less would be, IMO, too small for additional fish. If you're going with a male Betta keep in mind they often times done tolerate other fish especially in a smaller space. I hope this helps.
+1 to shellica!

Love ur avi shellica!!
Old 11-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #7 
stellar981

Quote:
Yes I did!! I had another tank and decided to try that one. It doesn't bow. I found the difference between the two, well besides quality im sure, is that my older tank has thicker glass. i am definitely more comfortable now.

And MyRainbowBettaFish - thanks so much for your input. I will need to start up a schedule. I actually purchased something that adds bacteria to the water to get started. I know it's probably not recommended on here, and I will probably be yelled at. I did read about cycling after the fact and it really overwhelmed me. Now the filter I bought for the tank does have a carbon cartridge, and some other white material that I could change too. I was informed what that is there for, but I cannot remember. Now I know people have said the filter is where the bacteria reside. And it helps distribute them throughout the tank. So, what happens when I need to change that cartridge monthly? Or shouldn't i?

I will get some aquarium salt to have on hand. Will there be directions with it, as far as using it to treat an illness? And you dont suggest using anything to alter the PH?
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #8 
paloverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
um wat?
Ah! my bad, I'm pretty sure that the original poster had some issues with a 10 gal kit that after filling was bowing & that the heater in that kit was a dud. Sorry to be so out of context ( old person syndrome )
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar981 View Post
Yes I did!! I had another tank and decided to try that one. It doesn't bow. I found the difference between the two, well besides quality im sure, is that my older tank has thicker glass. i am definitely more comfortable now.

And MyRainbowBettaFish - thanks so much for your input. I will need to start up a schedule. I actually purchased something that adds bacteria to the water to get started. I know it's probably not recommended on here, and I will probably be yelled at. I did read about cycling after the fact and it really overwhelmed me. Now the filter I bought for the tank does have a carbon cartridge, and some other white material that I could change too. I was informed what that is there for, but I cannot remember. Now I know people have said the filter is where the bacteria reside. And it helps distribute them throughout the tank. So, what happens when I need to change that cartridge monthly? Or shouldn't i?

I will get some aquarium salt to have on hand. Will there be directions with it, as far as using it to treat an illness? And you dont suggest using anything to alter the PH?

your very welcome! This forum is very nice, and you will learn a lot!
i use carbon in my filters, but it really doesnt make that much of a difference.
the actuall catridge dosent need to be changed, as it houses all your beneficial bacteria, only if it is falling apart should you change it.
I used bacteria to start up my tank as well, and no, you will not get yelled at lol.

the salt will have directions, but when your fish is sick, make sure it is dissolved before you add it first, and dont use it for more than a week at a time, as it can cause internal damage.
and no, dont alter the chemistry :) You should be fine. My aquariums have very hard water, with a ph off the charts and they are fine. My water is also very akaline.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #10 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Ah! my bad, I'm pretty sure that the original poster had some issues with a 10 gal kit that after filling was bowing & that the heater in that kit was a dud. Sorry to be so out of context ( old person syndrome )
oh haha, that was my bad! I forget things too!