Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #1 
Betty1

Exclamation I need help about my Betta

I got a male Betta just yesterday. Unfortunatelly I dont know anything about fish care... Right now he's in a bowl like this one >

but he's been acting kind of strange since this morning. he sits at bottom most of the time, i dont have a heater, and i dont know how to know the water temperature etc.. sometimes he bends his tail sidewards and he doesnt spread his fins, he just did a few times yesterday.. he's a dark blue/purple/red betta.

Please tell me how i should be taking care of him :( I dont want him to die please help me
Betty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #2 
SinX7

You need a bigger tank, a heater, filter (Optional) and a thermometer.

Your fish probably sit at the bottom because its probably warmer down then at the top.
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

The best thing you can do is a 100% water change. Remember water conditioner and to try to keep the same temperature as before from the new water.
In the future, try to research an animal before you buy it, ok? The animal will pay the price instead of you. Just upgrade to at least a 2 gallon, please. I'm just blunt when I get points across, not trying to be mean or anything..
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Betta are tropical fish and the temp of their water needs to 76-82 for them to be healthy and active, it is hard to heat a bowl that size so a 3 gallon tank would be best and then you could get and 25 watt adjustable heater for him. And you need a thermometer to check the temp of his water. What is the temp of the room he is right now ? If you can put him in the warmest room with no drafts.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #5 
Betty1

i understand you but, at least i care about him, in the petshop, he was in a plastic bag, no air and it was no bigger than the size of a cigarette pack and the water in it could've hardly filled a tea glass ... anyway, i will buy a tank for him in a few days but i need him to live. right now i try to keep him as warm as possible.. he's so sweet - i fed him with chicken today he loved it, people say bettas love fresh food and meat - hope thats true...

i want to get him a friend, a girl betta maybe is that a good idea? can they get along?

Last edited by Betty1; 11-10-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #6 
LizzyP

NO. Never put a male and female betta together. They will fight and one or both could die. If you want tank mates you need a tank of at least 5 gallons, then it can only be a snail or shrimp. If you want more fish you need a 10 gallon tank.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #7 
SinX7

No one trying to be mean to you, it just that, betta's are a wonderful and amazing fish. People on here are hardcore betta lovers and I just turned one when my girlfriend got me my first pet and betta fish.

Just take care of him, do water changes and get a bigger tank, and a heater with it too at least. You gotta put yourself in the fish fins sometimes, how would you like it if you're stuck in a small room with cold temperature?

Like I said, no one trying to be mean, people here love their betta's fish/pet/friend/etc.

Just read a couple stuff on the forum here and you will learn, I did. Especially those sticky.

Also, if you are going to put a female betta in with a male, minimum is 4 females I believe. The more the better, but you need at least a 10 Gallon IMO.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

You can't feed him human foods! That's too much for his tract, they need prepared foods. You know, Betta pellets from the stores. I suggest new Life Spectrum Betta Formula or Omega One Betta Buffet pellets, very high quality. These fish don't get lonely, they're solitary creatures. They don't want company. And if you do get a girl, any of them would die or they'd breed and you would have over 100+ babies. No room for for that! Just read the stickies and I hope he makes it.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #9 
Betty1

i love animals. more than i love humans to be honest... i just dont know much about fish...

i understand now, i've read some stuff about betta fish i think i know better now... okay i wont get another fish... thats why i loved bettas, cause they like being alone etc. and i will get him a nice tank too but i cant till tuesday :( he just needs to stay alive till then... the reason i fed him chicken is because he didnt really like the food the petshop owner gave me...

how often should i change his water? he's been in the same water since yesterday morning, but there's some food left on the top of the water and i cant exactly clean them off :S

Last edited by Betty1; 11-10-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #10 
SinX7

You'll be fine, just do water changes to keep the water fresh for the betta. Like LTB said, get either of those pellets (I have the Omega) and my betta loves it and he will thank you.