Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #1 
Syriiven

New tank, constant flaring at reflection

Sigh...I was just here posting questions yesterday. Okay, here's what's happened; I moved my betta from his 2.5g tank to 10g. Let the new system filter for 24hrs, tested for amonia levels, the heater has it at his normal temp, pH is identical...then I acclimated him, and he was much more energetic after being in his bowl I use while doing water changes.

He had a bit of a bright stripe along his body while floating in his baggie, but its faded since.

But after being free in his new tank, he wandered a little near the surface, then found the corner and has been flaring at his reflection for fourty-five minutes now.

I turned off the tank light, and just now put a towel over the tank hoping he'll calm down a bit but...I mean the room is white, so the natural lighting coming in is still bright enough to cause reflections. I plan to get a background and see if that helps, but...should I be worried if he continues like this? I've read amongst all the floating info on the net that even though it's a natural reaction, too much could srsly stress him out.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #2 
Hershey

He'll probably get tuckered out eventually. Getting a background is a good idea. Also, try to use tall decor near where he's flaring? Or as a last resort you can put your hand right on the tank spot where he is flaring.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #3 
inuudo

I don't think you need to be overly worried at this point. He's just establishing his territory. You might find a nice bubble nest in the morning!

If you do add a background, learn from my mistake. I bought one of the reversible black/blue plastic sheets from PetSmart and taped it to the outside back of the tank so that the black side showed through. The surface of the plastic sheet is quite reflective, so it was like a mirror 24/7. I now have a more matte background that I made out of paper. One of the plastic backgrounds in a pattern rather than plain black would probably also be fine.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #4 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
He'll probably get tuckered out eventually. Getting a background is a good idea. Also, try to use tall decor near where he's flaring? Or as a last resort you can put your hand right on the tank spot where he is flaring.
I've tried both of those...once her swam away, but just went right back. But thank you so much for replying, I've been stressing out over the little guy all day.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #5 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuudo View Post
I don't think you need to be overly worried at this point. He's just establishing his territory. You might find a nice bubble nest in the morning!

If you do add a background, learn from my mistake. I bought one of the reversible black/blue plastic sheets from PetSmart and taped it to the outside back of the tank so that the black side showed through. The surface of the plastic sheet is quite reflective, so it was like a mirror 24/7. I now have a more matte background that I made out of paper. One of the plastic backgrounds in a pattern rather than plain black would probably also be fine.

I was planning on using a painted canvas I made actually, has some blues, purples and greens on it, but it's matte. Unfortunately the filter is a little in the way. But thank you for the tips, I didn't even consider the background being shiny too >.<
Old 11-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #6 
inuudo

That painted canvas sounds like it will be stunning! I want to see pics when you have it set up.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #7 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuudo View Post
That painted canvas sounds like it will be stunning! I want to see pics when you have it set up.
Here's the canvas on it's own...

And here it is behind the tank. Had to rig it with some nails below the lip of the stand tho, but I made it work ;]

He's still flaring tho =(
Old 11-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #8 
SinX7

Is it bad if they do that? I just got my betta a new 10 gallon a couple days ago and I did notice he was doing something similar, but instead of flaring, he just swims on the left side of the tank and now he stop since I got some tall decor to block it.
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #9 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinX7 View Post
Is it bad if they do that? I just got my betta a new 10 gallon a couple days ago and I did notice he was doing something similar, but instead of flaring, he just swims on the left side of the tank and now he stop since I got some tall decor to block it.

I've read that constant flaring is bad for them, cause it's continual stress. I'm going to add some more tall stuff now and see if this helps.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #10 
inuudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syriiven View Post
And here it is behind the tank. Had to rig it with some nails below the lip of the stand tho, but I made it work ;]

He's still flaring tho =(
That is really nice! What a terrific idea.

LOL at the "still flaring"! He's just being a teenage boy.

Tags
betta flaring 10 gallon