Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #1 
FishyFishy89

algea infested plants

Apologise in advanced for typos. Typing this on my new phone.

So my anachris and wistera has been taken over by algea. What type, i do not know. I have also been away from home for a few months. I gave hubby strict instructions to follow. However, the last month i was gone hubby got called to Palm bay for work. I thought the tank would be fine without the water changes for that time. Being that a 5.5 gallon tank was stuffed with 8-10 anachris stems and 3-5 wistera steams. BIL was just given instructions on feeding Spike.
Aside from some tail biting, Spike is fine. But the tank.....lots of algea. BIL kept forgetting to turn the light off. So to kill this stuff off ive thoroughly cleaned the tank and removed the plants.

Ive put the plants in a tubberware and stuffed it into a dark corner. How long should i do this? Theres alot of algea. Mostly on my wistera.

I dont want these plants dying on me. Thanks.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:53 AM   #2 
Kytkattin

Can you pull any of the algae off? I know I have to do that sometimes with hair algae in my tank. Frequent water changes will probably be your friend if you can hand pluck most of the algae off.

In the future, it might be worth investing in a timer for the lights. They are like $2-5 at a home improvement store, way cheaper than at a petstore. I couldn't survive without mine! Though I don't like trying to remember when the lights need to go on and off.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

seachem flourish excel has a reputation of getting rid of algae as one of it's "side effects"

you should however look into the reason behind your algae growth.
consider factors such as, photo period, color temperature of light bulb, how many plants are in the tank, is it cycled, etcetc.
algae is usually the result of light and nutrients (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, phosphates etc...)
so you should look into what the cause may be

The algae is also saying. you really need water changes. there is apparently a build up of nutrients...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #4 
paloverde

All of the above posters gave great advice, seachem excel will work it's magic on the wisteria, but will destroy the anachris/elodea.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloverde View Post
All of the above posters gave great advice, seachem excel will work it's magic on the wisteria, but will destroy the anachris/elodea.
it shouldn't do too much damage if the dosage is upped slowly :<
Old 11-14-2012, 01:35 AM   #6 
paloverde

I dosed it at 1/8 of the recommend dose to start and by the time I was at 1/4, the elodea was goo. I could just have bad juju with the stuff. Have you used it with elodea? And I have read that a few other plants ( brain cramps, can't remember names),have the same melting issue.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

oh dear :'(
I've used excel before... i severely underdosed bexause i read about its possible negative effect on shrimps... nothin happened XD
Old 11-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #8 
FishyFishy89

aokashi, If you read what i posted you would of seen due to me and hubby not being home for a month the tank went without its regular water changes and BIL kept forgetting to turn off thr light.

Kytkattin, i do not know why i didnt think of removing the algea from my plants. I shall do that ASAP. And since the home improvement stores have the timer plugs at a cheaper price ill pick up one there ASAP. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

i read it :D I was just confirming that you need a water change after all XD
pulling algae off anacharis can also be a giant pain. best to remove the affected stems, unless it's on everything :) best to ID the algae and go from there.

On another note, if you have a petco nearby, you can always get an amano shrimp, a hungry amano wi take are of algae in no time :D

Last edited by ao; 11-14-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #10 
FishyFishy89

Yes i did the nessacry water changes. The tank is clean right now.