Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #1 
PoseidonsMaid

Betta deteriorating quickly!

I purchased Poseidon on 11-3-12 from Petsmart, he is a very small blue crowntail. (I say very small in that he could not eat the betta pellets that my previous betta did without crushing them - had to change to the API brand pellets that are very small.) I'm not sure of his age. At first, when I put him in the 2.5 gallon tank, he hung out at the top only and seemed like he would struggle to go to the bottom. I did a 100% water change on Wednesday with AQ salt, dechlorinator & biological supplement and he seemed to like the fresh, new water conditions. He swam around more actively, he ate better....yesterday and this morning, he had been blowing bubble nests! At dinner, he seemed unable to control his motions, just free floating around in the current of the water filter. He would be tossed in all directions, bump into things, and he seemed to have labored breathing.

I took him out of the big tank, put him in a small jar with about 2" of water in it, I have yet to see him come to the top of the water for air. He seems more gray in color (where his color had been improving), I read on here that more food (unless he is bloated) is helpful, so I offered him food - no response. He did try to evade me when I netted him out of the tank, that is the most lively reaction I've seen in about two hours!

Housing

What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? The filter provides some aeration - other than that, no.
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? API betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, six days a week

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechlorinator, biological supplement, AQ salt

Water Parameters:

Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No (Note to self: get test kit already!)

Ammonia:

Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Today
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Inactive, staying at bottom instead of top or swimming around entire tank, will not eat, labored breathing
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 6pm this evening
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? see above explanation
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Uncertain
How old is your fish (approximately)? uncertain

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!
PoseidonsMaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #2 
Wendyjo

What type of bio additive are you adding, and why? And how much salt, and why are you adding it?
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #3 
PoseidonsMaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
What type of bio additive are you adding, and why? And how much salt, and why are you adding it?
Bio additive was recommended at pet store, it is Nutrafin brand biological supplement. Poseidon originally didn't look especially healthy, so I started him with 1/4 teaspoon per gallon AQ salt (being cautious as to not add too much, and after reading a recommended 1 teaspoon per 2 1/2 gallon tank).
Old 11-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

Is it this?
http://uk.hagen.com/Aquatic/Watercar...plements/A7902

It's suposed to help cycle a tank but from what I have heard on here, they bacteria needed is not what is in these bottles.

When you do the water changes - are you acclimiating him to the new water or are you just putting him back in the tank?

what whater condition are you using?

As for salt for both epsom and aquarium 1 teaspoon per gallon is what is normally recommended here. In extreme cases you can up it to 3 but it needs to be done gradually. Epsom is used for bloating type issues and can be used long term. Aquarium salt is for fin rot, gill function, external parasites and should not be used for more then about 10 days.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #5 
PoseidonsMaid

The water conditioner is also Nutrafin brand.

Got up to check on Poseidon, he is now hanging at the top of the tank with his head higher than the rest of his body. Since I noticed his problem, I have also turned off the filtration system, so its current cannot hinder him in any way.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

The first thing that pops into my mind is something isn't right with the water but if you are doing a water change every day, that should not be a problem.

Is he still gasping for breath? and how do his gills look?
Quote:
Gill Disease

Gill disease make the fish appear to be swimming in a great hurry, but it does not move at all. The fins flap very fast, and the fish gasp for breath at the surface, or lie listless at the bottom. The gills become swollen and discolored. Bacteria, fungi and parasites in water can cause gill disease. The first step in the treatment is therefore an immediate improvement in water quality. Frequent [COLOR=black !important][COLOR=black !important]water [COLOR=black !important]changes[/color][/color][/color], conditioning and dechlorinating the water to ensure its quality are steps to take to threat and prevent gill disease. The chlorine in water often irritates the gills of the fish. Adding an anti-bacterial solution to the water may be needed to cure the fish.
You can PM sakura8, or Oldfishlady. They are pretty good with diagnosing issues.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #7 
paloverde

Hi, from your description it sounds like ammonia or nitrite poisoning. Does that water conditioner say on the bottle that it will neutralize chloramine and chlorine?.You do frequent water changes so I don't think that your tank can get to toxic levels. The biological supplement might be the culprit. Salt can make nitrite a bit less toxic but without knowing whats up with the water it could also cause more issues.I hope your fish makes it. Oh and as the above poster said PM sakura8 or oldfishlady

Last edited by paloverde; 11-12-2012 at 02:32 AM. Reason: brain cramps
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:48 AM   #8 
asukabetta

I used the conditoner, it does work. But I always let the conditioner set in at least a day, if urgent, 1 hour at least.

It's a good brand.

How did he react when you turned off the filter? Is he more at ease?

Something bettas won't reject is live foods, or frozen, bloodworms, daphnia and artemia (brine shrimp) are some options. I hear dipping the food in garlic juice makes the food smell more appealing.

I hope he does eat. Usually new betta's dont eat due to they are still getting used to the enviroment.

I hope he does get better! If you can, get a water testing kit, it might be very costy but it could help figure out if the water is the issue.

If not try bottled water with conditioner, perhaps it's something in your tap water.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #9 
PoseidonsMaid

Throughout the day, Poseidon seemed to be doing somewhat better, but when I checked earlier this afternoon and was going to change his water again (fresh is good), I discovered that he had died. :(

I went ahead and cleaned out the tank to prepare to for a new betta, I'm just really put out that this poor guy didn't make it and if I put the task off, it will make it worse later. I will save a sample of the old water to test and I will be buying a test kit and figuring out the problem, hope to try again with another betta soon. So sad!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #10 
paloverde

So sorry, Perhaps you might want to consider cycling the tank next time. You have the 2.5 tank,the filter ,heater all you"ll need is water test kit. Check oldfishladys stickies ( no more 100% water changes! ) less stress for the fish & you. And i might add toss that bacterial supplement in the trash, tetra safestart is the one that I have personally seen actually work.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote