betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #1 
Turtle4353

Betta Listless, not moving or eating

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees Fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Heavily planted, if that counts
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 8 other females in a sorority

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon betta food
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every week and once a month
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% per week, 100% per month
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Water Conditioner and Aqueon Plant Food

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Not tested
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 7.4
Hardness: 70
Alkalinity: 120

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Her fins are clamped
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She is listless and is not eating. She hides in plants
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today, after I went to feed all my females
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have put her in her own tank with the same water and put food in her tank.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of. She came from a pet store, though not a breeder
How old is your fish (approximately)? Young, maybe about a year.

Please help diagnose my little Eden! And on a side note with the sorority, I checked aqadvisor and the stocking is ok and she is not getting bullied or harassed by the other females, though she is smaller. The tank is very heavily planted and I have been watching the girls very carefully. There are no shreds/tears/bites in her fins but they are clamped! Thank you! What can I do to nurse her back to health?!
Turtle4353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #2 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Okay first off your may not be really overstocked but there is not that much room for each one of your girl bettas in that sorority. The aggression is not as spread out as it should be. The max in a 10 gallon should be 6 bettas. Your nitrates are high which indicates an overstocked tank; try to get it at 0. You can separate her into a quarantine tank. With that many of fish you should be doing at least t 50% water changes weekly instead of 25%
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #3 
Turtle4353

Ok I will change the schedule for my water changes. Do you think what's happening to her is stress? Or nitrates? None of my other females are like that. I thought the listlessness was because she hasn't eaten in a while. She ate a little bit when she was on her own so I put her in a hang-on tank in the main aquarium so that she is still accepted by the other females. She is moving more but her fins are still clamped. Advice?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #4 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Well, its probably just stress; you could add some StressCoat if she doesn't seem to picking up. StressCoat can be used as a water conditioner so I guess it is an easy switch. Keep her separate until her fins are no longer clamped and she is eating very voraciously. That is usually the sign that she is fine :) Other than that I guess just keep an eye out on her for the next few days or so.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

+1 with Leo except on the nitrates, 10 is fine. I would suspect she's getting bullied too much, it could be happening even though you're not seeing it. IMO, 8 girls is too many for a 10g even though aqadvisor says its OK. Are you using strips or a liquid water test, hopefully liquid. I'd get the ammonia tested just to be on the safe side. How long has your tank been set up? Hold off on offering food for a day or two, then offer one pellet, hopefully she'll eat it & then you can ease her back up to her normal feeding. Also, there is no need for a 100% water change on filtered 10g tank. I have 2 10g tanks & I do 50%+ weekly with a good vacuum & the same is true with my 46g tank. How long have you had her?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #6 
Turtle4353

I use the strips to test the water, will switch to liquid if needed. My tank has been up and running for about 3 months, no incidents. I have had this particular fish for about a month. And the tank is really very heavily planted with lots of places for them to swim around and make their own territories. I will look out for the StressCoat! I can also see if I can save up enough money to get a couple more tanks to take out some females and give the others more room to swim, if it really is to much. However I don't know how easy it will be to get more tanks so is it absolutely necessary to remove some females?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Even though its heavily planted sometimes there are still bullies & they can gang up one female. I have 8 females in a 46g & I see certain ones chasing others. Fins rarely get nipped but there's still chasing. If you're comfortable with that # in a 10g then keep it that way. I'm just giving my opinion on that issue. Strip tests are not accurate, they usually give lower readings than a liquid test will from what I've seen. It's possible she wasn't 100% healthy when you got her. Hopefully leaving her separated for a while will give her a chance. Did you QT her before you added her? I usually QT for a minimum of 2 wks but preferably 3-4 wks. This gives me a chance to get to know her & her me plus I can make sure there are no health issues.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #8 
kfryman

Okay, me and a couple people have had this discussion before. 8 females in a 10 gallon is perfectly fine. I believe LittleBettaFish had 12 or something in a 10 gallon, al was fine.

My question is what kind of filter are you running? I would definitely over filter the tank with an Aquaclear 20 for more filtration power. http://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-20-P...s=aquaclear+20

I would do 50% water changes as well and no more 100% water changes. that will kill your good bacteria most of the time or give you a mini cycle. Just take out water until the tank is 50% the way down.

It could be that she is being bullied, I am not good with signs like this. Your best bet is to either PM or write on their profile to Sakura, OFL, or Olympia may be able to help.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote