Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #1 
hynesh9792

Anyone know what kind Junior is?

I got my Junior as a baby just labeled "betta baby" at Petco. He/she was not colorful at all, very small.

Now he/she is growing and I don't know if he's a he of she's a she! OR what kind it is. He's probably a couple months old now.

I know it might be too early to tell but I think he might be a she =/

I call him my baby boy lol
Attached Images

hynesh9792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #2 
MistersMom

SHE is a Combodian Veil Tale Female lol. (best guess) she is showing stress.... anything inn the water kinda weirding her out? whats the temp?maybe add some AQ salt for good measures...
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #3 
hynesh9792

I don't think she is stressing about anything except probably us taking pictures. My tank I think FINALLY cycled through b/c she was in pretty high ammonia for a while. She was actually chasing my finger while my hubby was taking the pictures. She wouldn't hold still b/c she is so excited when I'm by her! So I had to distract her lol. I know her very well and don't think she is stressed out. She's a lot smaller than the pictures looks too. She still looks so tiny to me.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #4 
MistersMom

No, she has stress stripes..... lol. that's why i said she looks stressed,the Ammonia was probably stressing her out... She's cute though...
Old 11-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #5 
hynesh9792

Oh. I just got a heater the other day so her temp is about 82 and her levels are good now (nitrate, nitrite, ph, ammonia). I do have a filter also.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #6 
hynesh9792

What should I do? Nothing seems to be wrong. I know she doesn't get a lot of sunlight... maybe I should get better lighting for her?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #7 
hynesh9792

Does it make a difference that Junior is a baby still?

I have read other places on the net that babies have stripes as a sort of camouflage. She is definitely not an adult yet. I hope she is okay =(

She seems happy and hyper all the time. No OTHER signs of stress. Maybe I should feed her more since shes a baby? I feed her 4 pellets once a day and a smashed pea once a week. Is this not enough for her growing body?
Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #8 
blueridge

She seems perfectly healthy to me. The horizontal bars of color that are on her in the picture are a sign of stress, however if she does not show this while she is around you it was probably just the camera. Baby bettas don't have a sort of camouflage when they are young like other species. The amount of food seems fine. You could always mix it up with frozen/freeze-dried foods too. Personally I would stop feeding her a pea since it doesn't help them any. They are carnivores and I have read that peas actually stop up their digestive system. Other than that keep up the good work. She looks great! ;)
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #9 
MistersMom

Yep yep to what they said!!!^^^^
Old 11-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #10 
Myates

Those bars are also normal on very young bettas.. she looks to be still coloring up so I wouldn't say those bars are due to stress just yet, as it very easily could just be from being a juvenile.

As for coloring.. most likely blue with red wash, the body color will still come in as she gets older. It took my blue female a while until she actually colored up fully on her body, I believe she was about 6-8 months old before the blue showed up strong.

Hard to tell from the angle, but I am going to make a guess it's a VT female.. I'm about 80% sure, but can still be a male. Some males don't grow their fins long until 3+ months of age.. they continue to grow until 7mo of age.

Either way, going to be a pretty one!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote